weeeza

Standard Bore
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
My bike is on the way and it has quick shift installed.

So other than pulling from a stop or stopping, can you theoretically do all up and down shift with no clutch?

• Is there a certain RPM that is ideal to use it?
  • Is there an RPM that you should not use it below?
  • Are downshifts ok?
  • Will you cause harm to transmission if you use it in most of your riding?
  • Any other tips or advice?

Thank you for your help in advance!

So other than pulling from a stop or stopping, can you theoretically do all up and down shift with no clutch?

• Are downshifts ok?

I am completely new to the quickshifter.
And never had one before.
I find up shifting smooth and efficient. more efficient than manual change. And I'm not big on high revs. Shifting up with 3k rpm is easy and feels completely normal.
I still find myself sometimes shifting down usig a clutch. Somewhere in the back of my head there is a fear of a back wheel spinning if revs are too high. I trust bike with this torque must have antislip clutch but even if it doesn't I never had any issues with shifting down with a quickshifter.

There are instructions in your owner’s manual. On my BMW, you have to have the throttle completely closed when QS downshifting and completely steady when upshifting. Triumph’s setup could be different. On the BMW, smooth upshifting 1-2 requires revs over 5000, but lower rpms in the higher gears. You will find out from experience how high the revs need to be to avoid clunky up shifts.

………..

I have no direct answer, since mine will not be installed till next week. But you may find this thread informative.

I likewise am new to quickshifters and excited to try it.

The throttle must be some open to up shift. It shifts great at WOT. I use it most when accelerating very hard.I don’t use the down shifting as much but it fairly good at rev matching to minimize sudden whee lock up. I prefer the manual clutch to engage the lower gear on a down shift. I think you could use it all the time but I don’t.
It might lead to a bad habit. If you have other bikes then you might forget how to clutch a bike.🤣🤣

I've had mine for ~5k miles and LOVE IT. Yes, you can use it ALL THE TIME. I rarely use the clutch except for when I'm stopped. I find it works best the harder you push it. Upshifts are smoothest and fastest at when you're at high RPMs and on the throttle. That being said, it still works fine at lower RPMs but I've found it feeling a little clunky sometimes there. Downshifts are most effective and satisfying when you're really downshifting for deceleration and you are letting the RPMs come up to slow you down. Again, at lower RPMs, the system can feel a little clunky, but I think that's just because you're at low RPMs and shifting to low RPMs and there isn't much rev matching that can be achieved. As a general rule up-shifts work best while on the throttle and downshifts work best when the throttle is completely closed.

All that being said, mine is currently disabled because it stopped up-shifting. Downshifts continued to work normally, but the system stopped registering that I was trying to upshift (regardless of throttle position). Dealership spent a day or two troubleshooting and claim they found a couple of pinched wires in the harness. Waiting on a replacement part now but still riding the bike daily. I did find my smooth shifting skills had noticeably degraded while using my quick shifter regularly (especially rev matching the downshifts). I'll happily go back to relying on the quick shifter when I get it back functioning because it's soo **** fun!

I've had mine for ~5k miles and LOVE IT. Yes, you can use it ALL THE TIME. I rarely use the clutch except for when I'm stopped. I find it works best the harder you push it. Upshifts are smoothest and fastest at when you're at high RPMs and on the throttle. That being said, it still works fine at lower RPMs but I've found it feeling a little clunky sometimes there. Downshifts are most effective and satisfying when you're really downshifting for deceleration and you are letting the RPMs come up to slow you down. Again, at lower RPMs, the system can feel a little clunky, but I think that's just because you're at low RPMs and shifting to low RPMs and there isn't much rev matching that can be achieved. As a general rule up-shifts work best while on the throttle and downshifts work best when the throttle is completely closed.

All that being said, mine is currently disabled because it stopped up-shifting. Downshifts continued to work normally, but the system stopped registering that I was trying to upshift (regardless of throttle position). Dealership spent a day or two troubleshooting and claim they found a couple of pinched wires in the harness. Waiting on a replacement part now but still riding the bike daily. I did find my smooth shifting skills had noticeably degraded while using my quick shifter regularly (especially rev matching the downshifts). I'll happily go back to relying on the quick shifter when I get it back functioning because it's soo **** fun!
Pinched wires, ...within a harness....re-he-he-heally?....:) Pinched so severe that a control signal couldn't get thru......in other words, severed. Working; then completely severed; .. Wow, unless they were pinched and torqued under a bracket by a "rushed" installing tech.....even then, what are the odds?...Even the smallest wire gauges are multi-conductor wires designed, tested and certified for vibration and automotive use. Sure hope the repair is all covered under warranty; and I would ask for the old harness back just out of curiosity to see these severed control wires:) Occom's razor would likely suggest something different. And they couldn't temporarily bypass / repair the "break" to get you back up until the replacement part came in? Skeptically yours, ...

Agree with the skepticism. They said the pinched wire still had continuity through the area. My understanding of how the system works though is that the sensor attached to the shifter is essentially a potentiometer providing a varying voltage dependent on the movement of the shift lever. I could see a pinched wire that is potentially shorting or even just affecting the impedance impacting the voltage that the bike has "learned" to detect a shift. Either way, they were open to the possibility that the replacement part might not be a slam dunk and they'll dig into it further when the part comes in and I take the bike back. Yes, it's all being covered by warranty. At the end of the day, I'm really not all that tweaked because the bike is still fully operational and it's not out of commission while they troubleshoot the issue.

Agree with the skepticism. They said the pinched wire still had continuity through the area. My understanding of how the system works though is that the sensor attached to the shifter is essentially a potentiometer providing a varying voltage dependent on the movement of the shift lever. I could see a pinched wire that is potentially shorting or even just affecting the impedance impacting the voltage that the bike has "learned" to detect a shift. Either way, they were open to the possibility that the replacement part might not be a slam dunk and they'll dig into it further when the part comes in and I take the bike back. Yes, it's all being covered by warranty. At the end of the day, I'm really not all that tweaked because the bike is still fully operational and it's not out of commission while they troubleshoot the issue.

• Are downshifts ok?

Hi, to sum up some posts here....use the quickshifter when under "good to hard" acceleration, as well as "good to hard deceleration". If you use the quickshifter at other times, it may occasionally clunk. I personally use the clutch when not under the loaded accel or decel conditions. I didn't notice a performance difference in RPM ranges, only when under light loads.

I agree with the above post. I think the two advantages of the quick shifter are faster gear changes for aggressive riding and being able to keep the best grip in the handle bars for control under hard riding conditions. If I’m racing I’ll use it guarantee a large win margin.😉🤣

Back