Years ago I was hit in the head by a Magpie while doing about 50 mph, it just about knocked me out even with a helmet on. It did knock the magpie out, permanently. A magpie is a much smaller bird than an owl, you are right in assuming it would have killed you or at least knocked you off the bike. Birds have brought down airliners, no reason they can't bring down a biker.

When I was flying hang gliders I would encounter birds from time to time. Most were just curious and were happy to share a thermal with you, but one particular hawk thought I was a threat in some way and attacked the leading edge of the glider. No harm done but it was exciting. Ballsy bird to attack something about 20 times bigger than it.

Another time I flew over a hawk that was hovering and likely just about to attack some prey on the ground, I yelled at him and he turned upside down to expose his talons and then skidaddled away. Probably saved the life of some mouse, snake, or squirrel.

You are very lucky and quick thinking to get low. A friend of mine had a buzzard hop out of a ditch and takeoff directly into his harley windshield. He lost control, slid into the path of an oncoming pickup truck and lost a leg. Luckily he was not hurt any worse than he was. Do you have a bell?

Pretty much the same thing happened to me.
I watched a Turkey vulture take off from the right shoulder and fly across the road in front of me at 60 mph.
I could see the shocked look in his eyes as he missed the front of the bike and slammed his shoulder into my left knee.
It hurt a bit, but I had on chaps with knee padding.
Those birds are big. And Fugly.

Just think about the story the owl is telling his family tonight about this big black bird coming right a him making this loud noise.

Hi Sonny, you (and the owl) are lucky there. A freind of mine was knocked clean off his R3 many years back when a Pukeko hit him, they have zero road sense, broke his leg and he was in all the newspapers. Our owls are real small here. Pics of Pukeko and Morepork owl for reference.
pukeko_and_babe.jpg
2919490.jpg

Your just lucky you didn't or haven't hit an emu yet too! Despite being half of our nation's Coat of Arms, Emus are now raised in at least 43 US states by about 10,000 families (3,000 are in Texas)^. The US emu population is about a million, probably more than all of Australia! I believe many are roaming free from failed emu farms in Texas and elsewhere. Flightless, weighing between 18 and 60 kg (40 and 132 lb) and up to 1.9 metres (6.2 ft) in height, emus can sprint at 50 km/h (31 mph).

A classic Australian curse is "May your chickens turn into emus and kick your dunny* down".

^ Ratites

*Outdoor privy, 'longdrop' or '****house'.

upload_2017-1-15_15-37-59.png

From a distance the owl must have thought you were a big mouse...:D While riding in Montana i saw a hawk chasing a pheasant and all three of us collided at one point. The pheasant practically exploded ,there were feathers all over the place. It put a small dent in my gas tank. When i went to trade the bike in the dealer saw the little dent and deducted $500.00 off the trade in price.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was out on a nice fall afternoon. Dragging pegs down a road I ride all the time with a full face, t-shirt, jeans, and riding boots. A Raven did a low pass across the road and flew right into my left armpit. I reacted so quickly, grabbing the stupid bird out of my arm pit and tossing it into the road. Just before the retarded bird decided to test my deodorant, I notice a Prius coming the other way. I could see a women in a state of utter disgust and amazement. The women witnessed the incident as if I had just committed a mortal sin by tossing the bird to its death. I saw her face as she passed during this violent attempt at my life (she only witnessed me committing a murder to one of God's precious creatures) she was obviously pissed at me for protecting my left appendage from a mortal injury. I saw this nut sack hit her brakes as we passed each other as I was chucking Mr. Raven to his death. What was she going to do? Chase after me to scold me for murdering a retarded Raven? I continued on my course as if nothing happened and never did see the Prius again. Anyrate, Birds, Deer, Moose and Racoons can kill us. Stay alert my Friends.

A couple of years ago I was out on a nice fall afternoon. Dragging pegs down a road I ride all the time with a full face, t-shirt, jeans, and riding boots. A Raven did a low pass across the road and flew right into my left armpit. I reacted so quickly, grabbing the stupid bird out of my arm pit and tossing it into the road. Just before the retarded bird decided to test my deodorant, I notice a Prius coming the other way. I could see a women in a state of utter disgust and amazement. The women witnessed the incident as if I had just committed a mortal sin by tossing the bird to its death. I saw her face as she passed during this violent attempt at my life (she only witnessed me committing a murder to one of God's precious creatures) she was obviously pissed at me for protecting my left appendage from a mortal injury. I saw this nut sack hit her brakes as we passed each other as I was chucking Mr. Raven to his death. What was she going to do? Chase after me to scold me for murdering a retarded Raven? I continued on my course as if nothing happened and never did see the Prius again. Anyrate, Birds, Deer, Moose and Racoons can kill us. Stay alert my Friends.

Common Raven | National Geographic
;););););)
...excellent and acrobatic fliers ... skills are on display during breeding season, when exciting mating rituals include an elaborate dance of chases, dives, and rolls. You should check for bird pheromones in your deodorant! :p:D

Intelligence and Behaviour

These intelligent birds ..often portrayed as sly pranksters for their playful nature. You just can't take a joke - can ya!:rolleyes:

...Ravens do dine on carrion and sometimes on human garbage. That's what the Prius driver thought too!;):D

...Ravens are believed to mate for life. Widow maker!:evil::roll:

...Common ravens typically vocalize with a croaking sound. I'm sure yours did!:eek::D

Back