sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
This morning coming home from work I was almost wiped out by the biggest owl I have ever seen. This snow white object came up from the center median and was heading directly at me. I was going about 65mph at the time but the second I saw it had already started to brake. All I saw was snow white with black freckles. Heading right for my head. I ducked down over the gas tank and could feel the wings flapping as it flew over my head. I have run into a lot of animals on the road given the hours and terrain I ride in but never anything like this. Rattled my chain pretty good. If that owl had made contact it would have been the end for both of us. I actually felt the wind from its wings flapping it was that close.

Ring a bell? Snowy Owls have been spotted as far south as Texas and Georgia.
Snowy owl - Wikipedia

upload_2017-1-11_20-1-38.png
upload_2017-1-11_20-2-58.png

upload_2017-1-11_20-4-28.png

upload_2017-1-11_20-3-28.png

Probably thought you were the biggest mouse he had ever seen too! ;):p:D:D

But he is still just a pigeon in comparison to the ones we used to risk death from in the Northern Territory: Wedgetail Eagles, Australian Bustards and Black Kites.
Bustards are the worst as they weigh up to 28ib and are extremely slow to take off and change direction.
Australian bustard - Wikipedia
Wedgies are next slowest to get off the ground or usually a dead roadkill kangaroo but with a wingspan up to 2.84 m (9 ft 4 in) is quite a beast
Wedge-tailed eagle - Wikipedia

But Black Kites (aka Fire Hawks, **** Hawks) are everywhere and swoop over the roads all the time catching insects and scaring the ****-outa-ya! The bastards pick up burning sticks from scrub fires and drop them in new areas to score the insects that get swept up in the thermals trying to escape the new fire and then return to eat all the lizards and bugs roasted on the ground.

Years ago I was driving down South from Darwin when a locust nymph (crawler) plague was occurring near the Channel Country in West Queensland and they covered the roads and plains like a moving carpet. I saw 1000's of Black kites gorging and so full they could no longer take off.
Black kite - Wikipedia

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-11_20-0-15.png
    upload_2017-1-11_20-0-15.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2017-1-11_20-2-37.png
    upload_2017-1-11_20-2-37.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
Snowy owl - Wikipedia

But he is still just a pigeon in comparison to the ones we used to risk death from in the Northern Territory: Wedgetail Eagles, Australian Bustards and Black Kites.
Bustards are the worst as they weigh up to 28ib and are extremely slow to take off and change direction.
Wedgies are next slowest to get off the ground or usually a dead roadkill kangaroo but with a wingspan up to 2.84 m (9 ft 4 in) is quite a beast

But Black Kites (aka Fire Hawks, **** Hawks) are everywhere and swoop over the roads all the time catching insects and scaring the ****-outa-ya! The bastards pick up burning sticks from scrub fires and drop them in new areas to score the insects that get swept up in the thermals trying to escape the new fire and then return to eat all the lizards and bugs roasted on the ground.

Years ago I was driving down South from Darwin when a locust nymph (crawler) plague was occurring near the Channel Country in West Queensland and they covered the roads and plains like a moving carpet. I saw 1000's of Black kites gorging and so full they could no longer take off.
Black kite - Wikipedia
:eek: Bloody hell ! Not only have you aussies got a plethora of animals , insects , reptiles and fish that'll kill ya , Now I find out you got pyromaniac birds ! Every day is a schoolday on this forum . :) :thumbsup:

This morning coming home from work I was almost wiped out by the biggest owl I have ever seen. This snow white object came up from the center median and was heading directly at me. I was going about 65mph at the time but the second I saw it had already started to brake. All I saw was snow white with black freckles. Heading right for my head. I ducked down over the gas tank and could feel the wings flapping as it flew over my head. I have run into a lot of animals on the road given the hours and terrain I ride in but never anything like this. Rattled my chain pretty good. If that owl had made contact it would have been the end for both of us. I actually felt the wind from its wings flapping it was that close.

I'm glad you did not take each other out. I wonder why he though you were pray? During the ride in Leakey our pack scared a flock of turkeys and I came close to one. Chuck saw the whole close encounter. Good story with a good ending, thank you for posting it.

Has anyone tried a fender mounted subsonic whistle to warn/scare these road creatures?

Snowy owl - Wikipedia

Black kite - Wikipedia
That is the bird.

I'm glad you did not take each other out. I wonder why he though you were pray? During the ride in Leakey our pack scared a flock of turkeys and I came close to one. Chuck saw the whole close encounter. Good story with a good ending, thank you for posting it.

Has anyone tried a fender mounted subsonic whistle to warn/scare these road creatures?
Ramair , tors pipes and six n half thousand rpm scares most things I find ! :laugh:

When Hans was over we took him throigh the twisted sisters and I scared a buzzatd up out of the ditch as I came around a corner. He lifted off and flew straight down the road same direction as me trying to gain altitude. I just knew any minute he was either going to regurgitate or $hit to lighten the load. I remember praying over and over...please don't $hit. I passed under him with a couple feet to spare but it was a near thing

Back