PianoMan

Nitrous
Early I posted a thread about a T-shirt I saw that said, " Harleys..... It's What's for Dinner"

Well, today I'm at the mall getting my watch band adjusted. After leaving the jewelry counter, I passed a young woman wearing a very bright red T-shirt. On the back is simply said, " Your Bike Sucks" ! Now usually I snicker, walk by and become part of the Triumph Silent Majority. I know I've got a better ride and if they were honest with themselves... they'd know it as well. It's like every time I hear a HD start and the rider revs the loud pipes I want to say, " Your bike makes lots of noise and mine makes lots of horsepower" but I don't........ I just smile, nod and head on my way.

Okay, back to the story. I couldn't help myself and I approached her and tapped her on the shoulder. Her girl friend moved to the side and with a quiet voice I politely asked, " What bike would you possibly own or ride that would make my bike suck?" Her first reaction was a slight mouth drop and a bit of (Deer in the headlights) look. After stammering for a few seconds she responded, " I have a Harley and a Chopper ". My response was, " Oh, I'm so sorry about that and anytime you'd like to compare my R3 with your bike.........here's my card."

Needless to say, she was dumb founded and as I turned and walked away I thought to myself.......... If you're going to make a statement like that you should be able to back it up.

Now if I can just stop these people with little rice burners from racing through traffic so they can rev their engines at the light and challenge me to a short drag. I love to look at them, point at my engine and say, " Are you sure you want some of this. If so, I'll be waiting for you at the next light". When the light turns green and they don't floor it...... I casually accelerate. If they get on it........that second head start just makes them feel worse when I go by them within the first 100 feet.

As Mel Brooks said, " It's good to be King".

T-Shirts with words and/or graphics on them just revive and carry on with- the coats of arms that middle age soldiers, Christian crusaders in the Arab world, etc. used to wear on their chest. Both a proud identification to be recognized by their peers and a provocative differentiation to be noticed by their rivals or enemies...

Coats all sunk into oblivion with the advent of military and civil uniforms, business suits, blue overalls, etc, only to re-appear around WW 2 as T-Shirts 1) no longer serving just as underwear and 2) starting to display and thus to broadcast messages.

So, yes, there's something inherently non-frivolous and thus potentially bellicose, about such modern cotton armours.

Going for nap, now. Jamie:cool:

Last edited:
Way to go Pianoman!!
I have several friends that ride Hardleys and they think that there is no other bike made. I am too nice of a guy to put up my fight, but I think that they know deep down the truth!! It is strange that if you ask them to give me one example of how thier bike is better, all that they reply with is "Its a Harley, do I need to say more"??????? Yeeeech!

Other Bikes

I pulled my R3C up in front of a beverage emporium last night, and it is a place that caters to Harley riders. A large group of the good folks were sitting outside as I parked the bike. They were absolutely dumbfounded by the size and looks of the R3. I answered so many questions I felt like a spokesperson for Triumph! Not one person there had a negative thing to say about my bike. I was a little surprised.

Another great story Pianoman.

Folks may not like the R3 for one reason or another, but anyone worth their salt respects the power.

To be honest, I'm glad my R3 is not a high volume bike.

Unique, powerful, and quality,......how can you do better!!!

Jamie what crusade are you on!!:D PS, Enjoy your nappy-poo.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
:) Just gotta love my new tee..."Go Triumph

Go Modern"

Time for a nap for me too

Could it be that the reason the poor girl had "The deer in the headlight look" is that you are built like a Coke Machine? :D I'll bet by the time you were done with her she agreed to come out and see you play at your latest venue.... You smooth talker you.....

A fiend of mine claims he overhead this conversation between two very old men:

- I just got myself a new bike!
- Oh! Nice! What did you get?
- A Harley!
- You got to be kidding!
- No, I finally got one!
- I’m so sorry for you! I always regarded a Harley to be the step between a bike and a wheelchair!

Back