Question for PC3 USB Users

RatBoy

Turbocharged
I just got my bike back from the installation of the upgrade kit..

As part of that process they dropped a new tune into my ECU and adjusted the TPS's because they were out.

I had modified the original stock tune and had a custom PC3 map drop on top and she was running like a bat out of hell.

When I get it back, it's running like dog ****e and they had warned me of that fact so it didn't come as a shock.

However, I dropped my original tune back in operating under the assumption that if I did, the ole girl were run like a champ again.

Bad assumption...

I asked the Svc Tech about why it would happen and he stated that...
On occasion, he has seen where the PC3's throttle position can get "out of whack" (1-2% value at idle) when the battery is disconnected and that I may need to connect to the PC3 and adjust the throttle position %.

My questions to y'all...

1. Does that sound like a reasonable explanation for the ole girl running sluggish?
2. Do you think that resetting the throttle position % would cause such a problem?
3. How is resetting the throttle position done because I never had a manual?

Any thoughts?

I am confused, do you have tuneboy and you loaded a PCIII tune into a tuneboy map or you just run a PCIII?

If just the PCIII, my guess would be that the base tune (the tune loaded in the ECU) is different than the tune that the PCIII map was created for. Solution would be to get a dyno tune. Also is the O2 bypass installed?

Yes, a reset of the primary TPS and long battery disconnect could have affected your PC3, although mine runs fine if only 1% off idle zero.

I assume you have the PC3 software on your computer to communicate with the PC3? Also, did you save a copy of your custom PC3 map on your computer? If yes, connect computer to PC3 and verify that your custom map is even still in PC3, and TPS readout of PC3. You can zero the PC3 TPS setting from menu, and reload your custom fuel map with the PC3 software. Also make sure nobody effed with the enrichening buttons on side of PC3 (should be zero with custom map). If it was me, I'd also double check Triumph dealer's setting of new TPS with Tuneboy (I don't trust most Triumph dealers to get it right).

If you don't have the PC3 software, you can get free copy from DynoJet website. The latest edition has acceleration pump controls for your PC3USB (good stuff). If you don't have a copy of your custom PC3 fuel map, maybe your dyno tuner can email a copy to you from his dyno computer. They usually save all custom maps.

I am confused, do you have tuneboy and you loaded a PCIII tune into a tuneboy map or you just run a PCIII?

If just the PCIII, my guess would be that the base tune (the tune loaded in the ECU) is different than the tune that the PCIII map was created for. Solution would be to get a dyno tune. Also is the O2 bypass installed?

Sorry, Pigr
I have a tuneboy modified tune (WOT all gears, higher idle rpm) with a PC3 installed. Like you had before you started renting your PC3.

I replaced the new tune that the SvcTech installed with the tune that the PC3 map was created for, and it still runs poorly.

The PC3 has it's own O2 sensor. I failed to check to see if was connected again. I'll double-check it tonight.

Last edited:
Yes, a reset of the primary TPS and long battery disconnect could have affected your PC3, although mine runs fine if only 1% off idle zero.

I assume you have the PC3 software on your computer to communicate with the PC3? Also, did you save a copy of your custom PC3 map on your computer? If yes, connect computer to PC3 and verify that your custom map is even still in PC3, and TPS readout of PC3. You can zero the PC3 TPS setting from menu, and reload your custom fuel map with the PC3 software. Also make sure nobody effed with the enrichening buttons on side of PC3 (should be zero with custom map). If it was me, I'd also double check Triumph dealer's setting of new TPS with Tuneboy (I don't trust most Triumph dealers to get it right).

If you don't have the PC3 software, you can get free copy from DynoJet website. The latest edition has acceleration pump controls for your PC3USB (good stuff). If you don't have a copy of your custom PC3 fuel map, maybe your dyno tuner can email a copy to you from his dyno computer. They usually save all custom maps.

Hombre,
I downloaded the PC3 software last night and I was reading the documentation this afternoon in order to catch a clue. I didn't get a e-copy of the map from the tuner, but I believe that I can connect and 'save-as' although I haven't tried it as yet. I've never fiddle with the PC3 software before... thus the hesitation to play with it blindly.

I checked last night and the pyrometer is not installed. I was thinking about pulling the PC3, reinstalling the stock O2 sensor in order to determine whether or not the problem in the PC3 map.

The bike should run fine, but with the decel popping... right?

Sound like a reasonable next step?

I checked last night and the pyrometer is not installed. I was thinking about pulling the PC3, reinstalling the stock O2 sensor in order to determine whether or not the problem in the PC3 map.

The bike should run fine, but with the decel popping... right?

Sound like a reasonable next step?

Why go through all the work of removing the PC3? Did you verify that your custom fuel trim is still in it's memory? Just save the PC3 fuel trim to your computer, then zero out the PC3 for testing. IMO, the accelerator pump feature makes the PC3USB worthwhile.

Why go through all the work of removing the PC3? Did you verify that your custom fuel trim is still in it's memory? Just save the PC3 fuel trim to your computer, then zero out the PC3 for testing. IMO, the accelerator pump feature makes the PC3USB worthwhile.

I was going to remove the PC3 temporarily to assure myself that the PC3 map was causing my issues. If the bike runs fine without the PC3 connected, then I know that the map is the problem. At that point, I can attempt to fix the map myself, or go back to my tuner ($250 yet again).

I do not have an e-copy of the mapping...
I tried to connect to the PC3 last night, but I must not have been connected because the menu was disabled. I'm going to contact my tuner and see if he still has the map that he made for me back in 2007.

I do not know how to see if the custom fuel trim is still in it's memory. How do I do that?

Should the stock o2 sensor be installed with the PC3?

Last edited:
Back