PSA - Pack your spare key

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Public Service Announcement for NEW or CURRENT R3 owners...

Seems I may have been the first but not the last to fall victim to an R3 that won't start as a result of a bad FOB.

In my case (may not be yours), the NVRAM (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory) of the electronic key FOB got corrupted (how I can't say but it did). Which meant that the pairing between the FOB and the R3's ECU was broken. As such, when the bike is turned on, it goes and looks for the key (the flashing red light on the display), it doesn't find it, then it blinks again twice to lock back down.

I won't labour as to what steps you need do, that's been covered in other posts #fob.

My PSA is this...
  1. Pack your spare key somewhere on your bike.
    1. I put mine under the liner of my right pannier liner, after I wrapped it in tin foil. It's there if I ever need it.
  2. Watch the video below as to how to start your bike using the spare key. It's not the greatest of productions but it might help you get going if you are stuck.
    1. Note: It isn't mentioned in the video but you need to actually START the engine within 60s or the bike shuts off again

Great heads up and thanks. I'm curious about placing ones cell phone against a Fob for any length of time. Not sure if it would cause a corrupt Fob although I know for certain it has corrupted a number of Hotel entry door keys. I have had to stroll back to the hotel desk a number of times to obtain a new entry key due to my phone touching the hotel key card because it was disabled by my phone. Just a thought and make sure you let us know what the culprit was. :thumbsup:

Back