7.5 Key fuse Blowing out

Bauerman

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3R
I have a 2022 3R and after 5400 miles the 7.5 key fuse is blowing out while riding. The problem with this is the bike shuts completely down with no warning and won't restart. I replaced the 7.5 fuse and the bike would start a couple times and then blow out again. The bike cannot be ridden with this condition very unsafe. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Until I can start this bike and pull the 7.5 fuse without bike shutting down I'm done with it, this will get you killed. No Motorcycle should shut off like this over a key fuse. For safety sake I would suggest you start your bike and do the same. If it shuts down you have a problem because your one small fuse away from becoming a greasy spot on a busy road.

I have read a few posts about a recall abou changing the 7.5 fuse to a 10 amp.
Must have been a reason .
I think there is two 7.5 fuses and if ir was mine i would do both
Personally i would think that if it blows the 7.5 that I will blow the 10
Hth hermanll

Hth hermanll
The 10 amp battery fuse has nothing to do with the 7.5 key fuse unfortunately.

I also have read of 7.5 fuse problems with the R3. This link makes it sound like there was a recall.
The battery recall is a joke. Pull out 7.5 install stick in a 10. Has nothing to do with this shut down problem. Is your bike completely shutting down with no warning?

Hth hermanll
You are correct. I can put a 20amp in the key slot to replace the 7.5 it still blows out.

I hate to ask someone to do this but can you start your bike with the seat off and pull the 7.5 key fuse and see if the bike immediately goes cold and dark?

Thanks for all replies Mark

You are correct. I can put a 20amp in the key slot to replace the 7.5 it still blows out.
I am not at my shop computer where I can get a diagrams .
So maybe it be possible to use a 10 amp breaker fuse as a tool for checking.
On the older rIii it feeds the engine management relay so you might pull the relay then install the fuse/breaker fuse to try an get a handle on this problem. I feel that something is shorted out like fuel pump or lights.
Just an idea would would be is to pull theother fuses then put the 7.5 fuse in and if it doesn't blow then start replacing the other fuses one at a time until the 7.5 blows.
When dealing with problems like these the first thing I ask is has anyone been working on it then they say oh yeah good old joe that knows everything was working on the lights about 2 weeks ago.
On the older r3 which may not mean anything the current goes to the management relay then to fan and fuel pump .
Hth herman

Anecdote: had a fuse in the lighting system blowing. (CB550) couldn't find the fault, so I put in a large fuse to see what would happen. The extra current melted the fine wiring that runs through the handlebars to the control switches. Ouch....swapped out the handlebars with a parts bike. In the end, it was the license plate light socket ffs.....I detest lighting system faults / shorts.

I am not at my shop computer where I can get a diagrams .
So maybe it be possible to use a 10 amp breaker fuse as a tool for checking.
On the older rIii it feeds the engine management relay so you might pull the relay then install the fuse/breaker fuse to try an get a handle on this problem. I feel that something is shorted out like fuel pump or lights.
Just an idea would would be is to pull theother fuses then put the 7.5 fuse in and if it doesn't blow then start replacing the other fuses one at a time until the 7.5 blows.
When dealing with problems like these the first thing I ask is has anyone been working on it then they say oh yeah good old joe that knows everything was working on the lights about 2 weeks ago.
On the older r3 which may not mean anything the current goes to the management relay then to fan and fuel pump .
Hth herman
I will give the pulling other fuses a try. Old Joe hasn't touched my bike lol.

Back