The Dreaded Key FOB Out of Range

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
This, finally, came up. It took multiple FOB button presses near the headlight to get her going, even after installation of a fresh battery. Many members took their bikes in for service when this happens and sensors were replaced, FOBs replaced, and other "fixes," but what I learned from others on this site is that very *often* it's just an issue with the battery in the FOB having a weak contact. Here's the fix....

Cut some cardboard out the size of the battery and install it on top of the battery, as seen here. This presses the battery down firmly on the three "ears" that connect the battery to the FOB. Problem solved.

IMG_3219 copy.jpg

Also, I would recommend routinely carrying a spare battery with you along with the very small 1.5 hex. You're not going to find this tool in Advance Auto in an emergency, so have it ready in case you need it on the road to open up the FOB.

IMG_3220 copy.jpg

have you checked you clutch fluid? I couldnt find the thread. I am curious if it went black again or not.

Last edited:
have you checked you clutch fluid? I couldnt find the thread. I am curious if it went black again or not.

Not yet, but on my list. I'm leaving for Turkey on Oct 3rd, so it may not be until I return in Mid November. I'll probably just suck out what's in the reservoir and replace it with fresh fluid. Must be the hoses or seals are leaching rubber into the fluid. Hope it's just a small layer that settles down with a couple of fluid changes.

Not yet, but on my list. I'm leaving for Turkey on Oct 3rd, so it may not be until I return in Mid November. I'll probably just suck out what's in the reservoir and replace it with fresh fluid. Must be the hoses or seals are leaching rubber into the fluid. Hope it's just a small layer that settles down with a couple of fluid changes.
The question remains.
Why clutch reserviour fluid goes dark 20 times faster than front brake fluid

Last edited:
Here from a more recent post...

Back