Preload, Who Knew?????

atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
Tom asked if I wanted to go for a ride yesterday and I said, "sure." So before he got to my house I had a few minutes to look over my ride choice, my Bonneville T-120 Black and was looking at the preload adjusters I installed with the progressive fork springs and thought "those don't look like they are adding any preload at all." So I got my handy 19mm ratcheting spanner and threaded the left leg in about a 1/2" and then the same with the right. By time I was putting the spanner away Tom showed up. We took off for a ride through Southlake, Grapevine, Flower Mound, Roanoke etc., and I noted how much more comfortable the bike was and it was handling like a dream. I couldn't chalk up the improved behavior to the air I put in both tires since I just put them back to normal pressure. Must be the forks were working better because I had amped up the preload. Well bust my buttons, aint that a kick in the head. Make the forks work they way they are supposed to and the bike rides and handles better. Who Knew???? Now maybe tweak the rear suspenders a little and see what that does......

Back