Power Commander 111 & Triumph tune

jeep

.020 Over
I have Tors & cat bypass on my bike and have the Triuimph performance pipe download on my bike by my dealer ( pops on deceleration which seems to be normal).

If I install a Power Commander does the bike have to be remapped back to stock(no Tors or cat bypass) for the PC3 to work properly or can I just install a PC3 with the current Triumph performance download that my dealer downloaded and that is currently installed in the bike ???

Thanks

OK I understand that that is the best way to go butttttttt I would just like to use Dynojet's online download

If you have Tuneboy or a dyno shop near you does, then you don't have to buy the pcIII. You need to borrow one and then use the Tuneboy software to 'emulate' the tune from the pcIII. After that it can be downloaded into your ecu. Its on the list under tools in the edit program.
The following is a cut and paste off of the Tuneboy site:

"One of the main advantages of the TuneEdit program is that you are changing what the ECU is trying to do, the PCIII on the other hand is trying to change things after the ECU has done its calculations. This can cause problems (See below)

A key feature of the TuneEdit program is the ability to change the air/fuel targets in the ECU, many of the standard Triumph maps have areas where the ECU is intentionally making the fueling lean to help pass ride by noise tests. By simply changing the target air fuel ratio you can remove flat spots in the power curve without needing to put the bike on a dyno.

The ECU also uses these air fuel targets to control when the ECU runs in closed loop mode (Closed loop means adjusting fuel values based on feedback from the O2 sensor in the exhaust). If the air fuel target is 14.5/1 then the ECU will run in closed loop mode.

Note 1:

If you try and adjust the map (with a PCIII) in an area where the ECU runs in closed loop, the ECU will trim the map based on the feedback from the O2 sensor, this will in effect remove any adjustments that you have made with the PCIII. Not only that but it may cause other parts of the map to run lean because of the amount of trim it has had to apply to remove the PCIII trims. As you can imagine this is not a good situation.

On the other hand with TuneEdit you change an area from 14.5/1 to 13.5/1 by simply changing the target value, changing this value from 14.5/1 will stop the ECU from using closed loop mode in that area."

OK guys I know some think the tune boy is better & maybe it is ,but I am commited to the PC3.

The question is plain and simple does the bike need to be retuned back to stock config (Triumph factory tune) for the PC3 (loaded with the proper Dynojet download) to work at it's best .

I would appreciate to hear from someone that had the PC3 installed after they tried the Factory Trimph tune for performance exhaust (tors & bypass) .

I had my bike brought back to stock tune when I put the Jardines on and pc3 and used the pc3 map for jardines as a baseline prior to dyno tuning.

I was not able to get the bike to a dyno right away and the TOR no cat Tune from Triumph and the pc3 mapped for jardines made it way to rich. Once I did the 3 K&N's it got better but I still had them put the base tune in for a stock 05 empty cat box when I had it dynoed.

Head

It seems like a simple enough question. Most of us on here went the tuneboy route because it offers much more than just fuel mapping. I would suggest that you contact the power commander people directly and ask them.

"I was not able to get the bike to a dyno right away and the TOR no cat Tune from Triumph and the pc3 mapped for jardines made it way to rich. Once I did the 3 K&N's it got better but I still had them put the base tune in for a stock 05 empty cat box when I had it dynoed. "
Head

Thanks guy this answers my question, I had a PC3 on my bike for a short period of time & had the Triumph tune Tors& no cat and it ran like crap too rich.
Head's experience with his jardines and Triumph's Tors&no cat is exactly what I went through.

I did call Dynojet to ask about the base tune and I got #1 no & #2 yes you had to bring it back to stock tune before installing the PC3 with the proper download.

I find that using this forum and talking to R3 owners that have the same circumstances adds to solving problems. The problem is that everyone has a different degree of what is a problem. :roll: :roll:

[/quote]

Your problem is with knowing what "stock" tune the pre-done tune files where made against. Which stock tune depends on the year of the bike they tuned for because catboxes were changed to full cat after 2005. So whoever made the tune whether is was Dynojet or a customer has to know for sure which factory tune was tuned against. Don't know if you can get that info with the tune files.

If your tunes are running rich, I would suspect the tunes were made against a full catbox factory tune when your bike might have a richer tune already.

Back