Possible new 2005 Owner

murben

Standard Bore
Hi all. I'm actually really excited to be going to look at a 2005 R3 with only about 9500 miles on it tonight. Bike appears to be 99% stock other than the sissy bar/back rack. If everything appears as it should, I'll be bringing it home with me. My question is, other than the obvious things to look at on a used bike, are there any known issues or anything specific to the R3 I should pay specific attention to and look out for? The current owner is asking $6,000 for the bike, I'm expecting to be able to get him to $5500... That seem like a fair price for the age/mileage and assuming it's in near showroom condition? Thanks! and hopefully I'll be back here looking for mods soon!

Good luck with your quest! Other than the obvious, nothing jumps out at me if it is stock with that many miles. I would let her warm up and check for any dry rotted seals/hoses leaking. Check the date on those tire too. I assume they are original; therefore, not the safeties (if so) at 18-19 years old. Low mileage has it's drawbacks. Please keep us posted.
-MIG

Also worth asking if the tank filter & fuel pipes have been replaced recently. The recent change to E10 fuels means that the internal pipes are swelling and causing leaks with associated drop in fuel pressure.

Well, I went ahead and bought her! Very clean bike, unfortunately the current owner didn't have a ton of information on it as he hadn't owned it very long. He had quite a collection of bikes and pretty much only had this to say that he owned one.

First things on my list are doing the typical fluid changes and the ignition fix. Front tire has an 07 date and rear tire is a '19. What else should I plan on doing? What all was in the "update kit"?

In the 50 mile ride home last night, all I can say is WOW! What a great bike.... So much power, but never feeling out of control, and such a smooth and comfortable ride. Definitely impressed so far.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 20
congrats on the new bike!
i recently got myself a 2005 rocket 3 and I love it, too.

One thing that happened to me (and a lot of people) to keep an eye out for is the fatal flaw of the speedometer death.

Your speedometer will randomly die, go out, and lose all functionality for no apparent reason at all. Mine did it between when i parked it at 1900 hours and got on it to go home at 2300 hours on a friday night. No touch, no key, no nothing to cause a short. Just sitting by itself in a space.
I've been digging for a new instrument cluster for weeks and have come up with nothing.
So just be aware it's possible.

Well, I went ahead and bought her! Very clean bike, unfortunately the current owner didn't have a ton of information on it as he hadn't owned it very long. He had quite a collection of bikes and pretty much only had this to say that he owned one.

First things on my list are doing the typical fluid changes and the ignition fix. Front tire has an 07 date and rear tire is a '19. What else should I plan on doing? What all was in the "update kit"?

In the 50 mile ride home last night, all I can say is WOW! What a great bike.... So much power, but never feeling out of control, and such a smooth and comfortable ride. Definitely impressed so far.

Back