Plastic panel under the tail

Zutt

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 R
I noticed that the plastic panel under the tail, on the left side where the extra key sensor is located, isn't seated flush like the right side. Actually part of it wasn't even clicked in place under the brake light. So I clicked it in under the light, except for the left edge. I push it but doesn't click in, and there's something hard under it (maybe the sensor or something else). Even the corner where it meets the tail light is not fixed compared to the right sided.

I know it's a trivial esthetic thing that most humans will not pay attention to, but my OCD already saw it, and it bothers me.

Is this something worth addressing with the dealer, or just ignore it?

Is there a way to reach this thing from the inside to see if there are broken tabs, or reseat them?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_5730 (003).jpg

IMG_5732 (003).jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5731 (003).jpg

Last edited:
I don't have the new R3, but like you I get frustrated when things do not appear to be quite correct. Sometimes it's just how it is...but I prefer to know one way or another. It costs you zero dollars to ask the question. Best to address from a "Hey I was curious why this is like this. How can we correct it?" rather than "WTF!"
Let us know...
-MIG

Not to get you fired up but that looks bad. I just looked at mine to see if I might have missed any discrepancies and it's perfectly flush all the way around. I'm certain I would talk to your dealer and have them fix it as it all should be flush. If you don't it will bother you every time you look at your Rocket. Cheers.

I looked further, and there are 2 tabs attached to the panel that should slide under tabs on the frame. Only way to position them correctly I would guess is to remove the whole thing and reposition it symmetrically this time with the tabs on both sides seated correctly.
Tells about the sh!tty quality in assembly of these "supposedly premium" bikes.

If anyone knows how to get to it or remove it, if it's not too complicated, I'm willing to try it and save myself a trip to the dealer.

Thanks.

Anyone who's installed the pannier mounts can tell you how to remove it as that panel gets replaced. At the least, you can always look up the pannier mount instructions. I believe it's fairly simply to remove and reinstall.

Anyone who's installed the pannier mounts can tell you how to remove it as that panel gets replaced. At the least, you can always look up the pannier mount instructions. I believe it's fairly simply to remove and reinstall.
Bro, thank you for the suggestion! I looked it up, turns out easy removal.
This gentleman in the video shows the two screws under the seat that hold the undertray. Then you slide it forward and replace or reposition it. Shouldn't take more than couple of minutes.
All done!

Go to 1:42 to see which screws. And same thing is mentioned in the service manual.

I love this forum!
Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
Back