Part of detent missing

bebsy

Finicky
Ride
2006 Triumph R3
Hi all
Well I got a mile down the road and the detent went,
Stripped it down last night main part of the spring was still hanging there but the hook piece that goes through the eyelet was missing I've searched every crevice with the magnetic wand dropped the sump checked the screens and still nothing, you may say check again well if I checked once I checked a 101 times driving myself mad, any suggestion much appreciated

Have you rechecked your oil drain tray when you took the front off to check it didn't go in there?
I had the same issue that you are going through, sump off etc etc.... spoke to my friendly mechanic Triumph dealer and he said he always finds the small piece before putting back together
I finally found it with a flexible stick magnet sitting in the selector spring area pictured below.
1652266742755.png

Hello mate
What a feeling that must have been... But I took that spring off to gain access for the new detent last night and checked it over for refitting it was clear, wow if that was lodged in there I would have cracked a can or 2 instead I went to bed at 3am like a bear with a sore head, my only fear is it may have fallen into the opening we're the gears are housed, going back sorry when I removed the selector spring I rattled the gear shifter hoping it may drop out. No sign of it, I need to ask the question nobody wants to answer but would it be fair to say as its sitting on the bottom end its not in danger of passing through the motor would I be right in saying its out of the woods

Guess I better remove the engine and start digging, could anyone correct me in my mind the only place left it could be as I've searched everywhere else is the trans shown in the pic would that be possible

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_223157.jpg
    IMG_20220511_223157.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 20
the broken piece may be still wrapped around the shaft it was on.
i would use jbweld to install some magnets to collect that little bugger and never look back.
just me

the broken piece may be still wrapped around the shaft it was on.
i would use jbweld to install some magnets to collect that little bugger and never look back.
just me
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably sitting in some little nook and will settle there for forever and a day. Of course, if you want an expert opinion, then you need to talk with @warp9.9
Thanks for the words of comfort, I was just trying to work out if it's sitting on the bottom and all oil is fed back up through the strainers maybe eventually if it was trying to find its way up top it would have to bypass that system, I'll do what ever it takes to right it I haven't seen the bike for 10 months it happened 2 days before I left I got home 3 days ago thinking a quick detent fix and I'm away and the big girls got me on the ropes again

I will probably thrashed for confessing this, but when my second spring broke at 54,000 miles, I never found the small piece of it. It has been in there somewhere ever since and I am at 117,xxx miles now. Just sayin . . .
Thanks for sticking your neck out and exposing yourselfđź‘Ť lol

Back