Opinions on this bike?

My 23 year old son wants a road bike. He isn’t a big guy, manages to handle the R3, but it’s to much for him. IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Just not a beginners bike. He isn’t really a beginner, has a motorcycle endorsement, but his hours on big bikes are low, and I know him, he will push it over the limit just to see where it is, and if he can recover.

We looked at a Thunderbird today. It’s 1600cc and weighs 747 lbs. I test drove it, seemed easy to manage, nimble and quick. I’m used to the R3, I’m certain my perception is off on what is manageable for him. What do you guys think, still to much for the first big bike, or am being a mother hen?

Also, does anybody know anything about the Thunderbirds? It’s a 2010 with 6700 miles, the guys wants 5k for it. Looks like this-

ECC9A14B-47CC-403C-98ED-D9C0EBE880FA.jpeg 8E4B0EA2-EA18-427A-B95B-DAC0353413DC.jpeg
When I was younger, I got rid of all my bikes as my kids approached driving age. I'm pretty sure the youngest would not be here any longer if he had gotten what he wanted at the time- my R5C 350.

Will here, I've been persuaded to step out from the shadows and do more than lurk though the forums.

Another thing to consider is his riding buddies what do they have? If its a sport type and he trys to hang in there with a bulldozer it could be asking for problems. I'm just lucky my son did not develop a taste for riding. Good luck with your decision. But I bet Mom is not sure either. 36 years married so I can give you a piece of advice. If she is totally negative roll with her bud !!!!

No riding buddies for me, I don't think I know anyone else with a bike. Just me and dad.

Just sorting out flight tickets now...but he maybe disappointed. I still only have 2 legs, 2 arms, 1 head(?) etc..

ONLY ONE?! WHAT HAPPENED?? I like grumpy old coders though, good stories, bad attitudes, and leave the younger girls to me really looking forward to meeting sonny...

Hello John, pardon the late delay in seeing this thread. Congratulations on the new bike in the family. I have written a couple of reports on Tbirds, one is here: 2014 T-Bird Commander Report
3 of my 5 boys, the youngest three of which the baby is 22, all ride. I won't give more bike recommendations since that is OBE, just that anyone somewhat new needs a lot of all around riding experience before I am at least a little bit satisfied they will do okay on their own.
I bought a Kawasaki EX500 for my second wife to learn on, then the three boys and now one of their finance's is learning on it. With the expectation of my future daughter-in-law, I took each of them out for at least 500 miles or more and was talking via Bluetooth (helmet to helmet) answering all sorts of bike related questions along the way. (And it helped to connect more with each one of them). I vote you take every opportunity possible to ride with this new brother to us all and build a whole new bond not available before. Any bike can be dangerous as others have stated, but every bike can be life as well.

Europe has a system that in many ways I can not disagree with. You start with a smaller bike after a period of time you would move up to the medium, then graduate to the big bikes.
I started riding in 1961 at the wise age of 17. Had a 175 Honda. Then moved up to a big 350 Dual sport Honda, ( the big bikes were 450) , Then I got a BMW 750. No one ever would want one bigger. I can't count the number of bikes I have had. I am getting ready to turn 75 and still put 15 to 20 k a year on my bikes. I live in Oklahoma , and it is not uncommon for some one to start small , jump to a big bike , then jump to the emergency room. Surviving on a motorcycle is a learning experience that takes time. Young with good reactions is great , but remember we were all young and DUMB. Better to be a ******* now than a father in morning later.

Will here, I've been persuaded to step out from the shadows and do more than lurk though the forums.

No riding buddies for me, I don't think I know anyone else with a bike. Just me and dad.

ONLY ONE?! WHAT HAPPENED?? I like grumpy old coders though, good stories, bad attitudes, and leave the younger girls to me really looking forward to meeting sonny...
Hi UnicornRider, Welcome to the forum and the world of motorcycles! That is a really nice piece of machinery you have so take care and listen to the wise words of the older riders...older for a reason. I started out on my first bike at 16...thought I knew it all and was an immortal being! It didn't take long to find out the hard way that this was not the case!! Look forward to meeting with you all in October and as for the Girls.. experience is better any day!

.thought I knew it all and was an immortal being! It didn't take long to find out the hard way that this was not the case!!
What proof do you have that you're not immortal?.

I smell a WITCH

250px-Witch_smeller.png

If you know you're not immortal, then you must have died - but then..........

Back