jrmacidal

Standard Bore
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3R
It official, my 2020’s oil leak has been diagnosed as a porous casting. Warranty will cover all necessary repair, 3 to 4 weeks to complete. Engine has to be torn down and the defective piece sent to Triumph UK for treatment. Does this sound correct? Why not just replace with a new one?

Reading some around, replacement part is more typical but all depends on where it's finally located the porosity. Sometimes a sealer and new gasket fixes it, sometimes they can seal the porous part with a treatment that fill the porous. It could be just an small area.

I had to "cure" the porous in my "molcajete" grinding some garlic, but fear not, I don't think they will use garlic in yours.

Saying so, we are in an world stage where parts stock its quite an issue...

Triumph has the right to try and repair a problem rather than replace (warranty). The trick is to keep you happy/satisfied with the repair experience. The best way is to replace the bike but..... so a loaner bike similar to the one you own, while yours is out for repair, should be provided. I'm not sure what part of the engine casing needs to be treated but if it's done properly, it should be permanent and unnoticeable.

It official, my 2020’s oil leak has been diagnosed as a porous casting. Warranty will cover all necessary repair, 3 to 4 weeks to complete. Engine has to be torn down and the defective piece sent to Triumph UK for treatment. Does this sound correct? Why not just replace with a new one?
I know this is an old thread, but how did this end up for you? I have the same leak, and after an attempted fix, it's still leaking. I'm now told that the transmission will have to be sent to corporate to be fixed. I'm not real fond of the idea of a dealer technician tearing the bike down and reassembling it.

I know this is an old thread, but how did this end up for you? I have the same leak, and after an attempted fix, it's still leaking. I'm now told that the transmission will have to be sent to corporate to be fixed. I'm not real fond of the idea of a dealer technician tearing the bike down and reassembling it.
Same story, bike is currently at the dealership undergoing the tear down. Should be ready in another 2 weeks. Warranty issue, not going to let them off the hook until it’s all corrected. Stay tuned…

Jeff M

Well, I finally got my bike back after 16 weeks in the shop to have the ‘porous casting’ / oil leak issue repaired. At least it was during the off season, I’m in New England. All covered under warranty, no cost to me. Stay tuned…

Well, I finally got my bike back after 16 weeks in the shop to have the ‘porous casting’ / oil leak issue repaired. At least it was during the off season, I’m in New England. All covered under warranty, no cost to me. Stay tuned…

Back