ohm range of the Primary & Secondary TPS?

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Can anyone provide me with the "ohm" sweep range of the TPS, both Pri & Sec? I'm about ready to dig into the electrical system and check them both but need to know the numbers I'll be expecting to see to assure they are good.

i don't think that any one has posted that info but if u measure it please post. the sweep & also the total.
most people get the tunecu and measure voltage. this is still not a 100% check because when u r driving u have vibrations and that sometimes make a glitch.

The primary is .60 to .72 with +/- .02v. I don't know about the secondary tps.

The test is built in to TuneECU and very easy to perform.

edited: I need to proofread better.

Last edited:
The primary is .60 to .72 with +/- .2v. I don't know about the secondary tps.

The test is built in to TuneECU and very easy to perform.

that is the volts .60 +/- .02 volts he wants resistance or ohms

just another way of checking especially off the vehicle(u don't need a battery). when u check the in and out there is a fixed resistance. if that checks open then the computer will set a code. usually the one in the middle is the one that is variable. of coarse the best way to check is with a scope because that is the way the computer looks at it.
tps is a component that wears out. on diesels they go bad faster because of the shaking, i think that mc are probably next and then cars seem to last longer.

edit
when we tear them apart u can see them worn down contact and u can see the carbon that i think changes the resistance that messes with the resistance.

OK, ran an ohm check but didn't write down the numbers, just checked to see if there was a constant increase in the sweep from min to max. the tps at the "rear" of the engine passed, the tps at the "front" dropped off about half way through the sweep. Checked it several times and I recall the number that it dropped off at was 19.xx. Bad component!!!
Here is my dilemma now. The Rocket manual shows the "primary" tps at the rear of the engine and the secondary at the front. Simple enough. It also states that they can be identified from each other by the length of the wire lead. The secondary has the longer lead. It also states that they do not interchange with each other, which I found to be true. While performing the ohm check, the "rear" tps rotated clockwise from low to high ohm, the "front" rotated counter-clockwise from low to high ohm. This make sense due to the fact that they both couple up to the same shaft, only at opposite ends.

Bike Bandit shows the diagram of the throttle bodies and associated components of the 2005 Rocket III (under "Throttles / Injectors and Fuel Rail"). The image and accompanying balloon numbers imply that the "long lead" item (item 2) is the primary tps. AND, if the diagram is properly proportioned, even shows the long & short lead difference.
Now I'm most likely to rely on the Service manual, which implies in a handful of places that the Primary tps is at the rear of the engine.

What would you guys/gals do, order the item that is shown toward the front of the throttle bodies and hope it's the right one, or order the one that states it is the "secondary tps"?

I think the Bike Bandit diagram has the two tps items labeled reversed (2 should be 4 and 4 should be 2).

Internet info shows the part T1245010 is the secondary TPS.

The front is the secondary. The one at your knee is the primary. I just installed my 4th primary last week (74k miles).

I wouldn't recommend ordering OEM parts from Bike Bandit. Given that you are in NW MO, I'd call Baxter's up in Iowa and have them ship you one. BB takes a long time even if they have decent access to the part to begin with. www.motorcyclesofdulles.com has an OEM parts listing that you can order online from. That's where I got my most recent primary TPS.

This make sense due to the fact that they both couple up to the same shaft, only at opposite ends.

The primary tps is located at the rear on the bottom shaft
the secondary tps is located on the top shaft on the front.

rusty are u sure that the ohm meter wasn't set to a low range and then when it hit the top of the range it goes back to zero.

Back