ohm range of the Primary & Secondary TPS?

I used that same setting for both tps's. The primary (at the rear of the engine) stayed on the ohm scale throughout the entire sweep, increasing and decreasing accordingly (using a flat head screwdriver to rotated the pot), the secondary dropped off after 19.xx as stated in the previous post. I could also tell that I was only part way through the full sweep of the pot when the reading went to crap. Implicates one is good, the other is not.

Wish I would have gotten the "order through Baxter's" comment earlier. Drat! Will be down for a while I reckon!

Well you could still order from Baxter's -- see who gets there first, and you'll have a spare you could well need if you keep the bike.

I did a quick look at Baxter's site but found it to be "unfriendly". I could not find where I could order parts. Will look again and if successful, just may get the old gal back on the road sooner. Had my last bike for 35 years (1978 XS1100 Yamaha), which is still out on the road going everywhere by the new owner. I'm planning on keeping this ol' gal as long as I can find the stuff to keep her running, and have the ability to "hold her up".

Correction! In my long post dated Friday at 5:16, toward the end of the first paragraph I made a statement that they (the pri & sec TPS) were on the same shaft. TURBO200R4 commented that the primary was on the bottom shaft and the secondary was on the upper shaft. After reading this, and going back to the bike, I saw that my observations were indeed wrong. 2 shafts, a pot on each. I also found that, after I followed the instructions found for primary & secondary Throttle Position Sensors servicing, starting on page 11.126, the entire throttle bodies do not need to be removed from the bike to service them (TPS). The primary is installed with the throttle "closed". The secondary TPS only requires the secondary throttle shaft to be rotated "full open" and held while installing the TPS. I wish I would have known that before I spent about 2 hours dismantling the Rocket to remove the throttle bodies as defined in the manual. Lots of detail could have been added to the instructions to get the throttle bodies off the engine as well, but success was achieved.

DRAT! I guess I have a few days to reassembly the old gal while the part is in shipment.

Heck, working on a machine is half the fun of owning one, and the Rocket can certainly satisfy that craving.

Thanks for letting us know.

Can anyone provide me with the "ohm" sweep range of the TPS, both Pri & Sec? I'm about ready to dig into the electrical system and check them both but need to know the numbers I'll be expecting to see to assure they are good.

Seeing as you didn't get the answer.. both 0-5k Ohms. Difference is primary spring returns in anticlockwise direction, secondary spring returns in clockwise direction.

Better late than pregnant!!

Back