Oh yeah, another oil question!

Kendan

.040 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket III Touring
Hello all, been awhile since i've been on but with me being finally able to get my bike on the road, quick question. Why does Triumph recommend synthetic, or semi-syn oil? My initial assumption was probably due to the long oil change interval. But is there any other reason?
I need to do an oil change before I start riding this year, and honestly money is a little tight at the moment, plenty of expenses coming up. I've been using redline up to this point, but its impossible to find at the moment here in Alberta, as the only place I can find is Canadian Tire, but I'm looking at $120+ for the oil. Painfully they have Shell Rotella T6 synthetic on sale, $43 for a 5L jug, and even tho it is rated for JASO MA and the API rating exceeds the SH rating the manual recommends, I've read that the Rotella might not be a good choice.
I've found some lucas oil on sale for less than half the Redline, and it meets the rating specs, so any reason why I can't use conventional oil? I wouldn't use it for the whole interval, and would probably change it in a few months after this annoying expense hump is done with.
thanks!

I have used Shell Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic several times. There is nothing wrong with it. I know many fellows that use it with no issues. Even a number of Gold Wing guys use it with hundreds of thousands of kilos on their rides. It is fully rated for our bikes and should be no problem handling the milder Canadian summers. I think the motorcycle specific oils are jacked up in price because the motorcycle community is willing to pay up for what is perceived as a good product..... (more expensive is more better :) )

As to why Triumph recommends synthetic oil... the viscosity doesn't break down as quickly as regular motorcycle oils. A synthetic 10W40 tends to hold that viscosity a lot longer than a non synthetic 10W40. The reason, since the engine oil is also used by the transmission, the chopping/shearing effect the tranny gears have on the viscosity enhancers in the non synthetic oils rapidly thins out the viscosity of the oil. Viscosity enhancers give a 10W oil, 40W characteristics as temps rise. This good feature degrades over time changing a non synthetic oils viscosity rapidly leaving you with an oil that is too thin. You can use a non synthetic but it needs to be changed a lot more often. Viscosity which is too thin is an engine killer especially in high heat areas. 20W50 for Texas and 10W40 for Canada. The main number in an oil viscosity to be concerned with is the second one since we don't really have to start our bikes in sub zero weather which is what the first number is for.

Hello all, been awhile since i've been on but with me being finally able to get my bike on the road, quick question. Why does Triumph recommend synthetic, or semi-syn oil? My initial assumption was probably due to the long oil change interval. But is there any other reason?
I need to do an oil change before I start riding this year, and honestly money is a little tight at the moment, plenty of expenses coming up. I've been using redline up to this point, but its impossible to find at the moment here in Alberta, as the only place I can find is Canadian Tire, but I'm looking at $120+ for the oil. Painfully they have Shell Rotella T6 synthetic on sale, $43 for a 5L jug, and even tho it is rated for JASO MA and the API rating exceeds the SH rating the manual recommends, I've read that the Rotella might not be a good choice.
I've found some lucas oil on sale for less than half the Redline, and it meets the rating specs, so any reason why I can't use conventional oil? I wouldn't use it for the whole interval, and would probably change it in a few months after this annoying expense hump is done with.
thanks!

I've used Shell Rotella 5w40 T6 for 10 years or so with no problems. I run my bikes very hard and have never had a clutch, trans, our engine failure. If it can lube turbo diesels (turbos turn/spin 100,000 RPM) it can take care of a water cooled 3 cylinder engine.

I used Rotella T6 in my Sprint 1050 for years with no issues. I'll use it in my Roadster once the stash of closeout Castrol Power 4T oil I got is gone.

I've used Rotella for years in my Victory and Suzuki, lab tests show in the Vic at 5000 miles the oil additive package is still robust so there's no reason I can think of
it wouldn't be a good choice.

Remember: You can always pay a lot more but you don't always get a lot more.

Hey all. Thanks much for the input. I think I'll give the Rotella T6 a try, see how it works for the next little while. At its current sale price, hard to pass up trying.

Back