OEM "add-on" lights mod.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
The R3 "fog" lights are way overpriced - this we all know. And mucking about with a set for the hell of it would be dumb - maybe. But as it transpires they can be found in the after-market sector - Mine came in packaging "SHIN-YO" which is a German trade name. But let's face it - They're Chinese.

Now then - Two sets of fog lamps is silly. So in the spirit of R&D - I decided to modify them.

So here's the drill. Remove the mount and bulb plus all the rubbery bits associated. Remove the two side screws. The two halves (front/back) are held together by a bit of silicone goo. The two halves WILL come apart - but the use of a bit of heat can help. You can't twist em off btw.

Inside there is a metal shied held in by two screws. Remove screws and shield - refit screws (as they also hold the lens in place).

Put it all back together and you now have driving lamps.

And for my next trick - add a relay so they activate with high beam. But not today.

Hardly that.
Suppose I'd better fit them now (purely in the spirit of R&D naturally, as I'd not want to suggest anything illegal like riding with them).

Nothing illegal here as long as they are tyed in to the High beam circuit and much needed with our hoppy fury friends

I tried that a few months ago and was not happy with the result. As the light stands, the beam spreads out in a horizontal type pattern with a sharp cut-off at the top. When you remove the shield the light will go up vertically and there is less light on the ground. I prefer to see the ground and ground critters rather than the wombats in the trees.

Fog lights are designed to be a softer, yellower light because that penetrates fog better than bright white light. Ideally you should be able to turn your headlights off when you use fog lights in a fog. Driving lights should be bright, white lights which throw the beam a long way in front of you so that you can see where you are going.
Well you could have said so. :catfight:

My "plan" is to fit the OEM fogs lower down closer to the ground and fit the "modified" things on the OEM mounts - with blue light H3's in - Phillips probably though PIAA is an option. The closer I can get to 6000K the better - HID makes no sense for main beam lamps - sadly.

I was missing having some lateral scatter on main beam in the twisties. The OEM headlamps are a rather narrow spread - HID'ing them will make the light/dark difference all the more noticable. That lateral scatter is useful as it scares the Jabalies (Wild Pigs) off the road out here in the country.

The fogs I may get some yellow H3's from France though polyelipsoidal lamps will always tend to blue. These also may get HID's (I have the burners).

It's all part of a greater plan for world dominance - Buuaaahhhaaahhaaa

And I can always use them as DRL's :whistle:

I tried that a few months ago and was not happy with the result. As the light stands, the beam spreads out in a horizontal type pattern with a sharp cut-off at the top. When you remove the shield the light will go up vertically and there is less light on the ground. I prefer to see the ground and ground critters rather than the wombats in the trees.
Aha - but one can have ones cake and eat it

Back