Noltons detent spring fix

My dealer says that the motor has to come off the frame to remove the front cover and change the detent spring.
Ok all joking aside its obvious your dealer has not even changed a clutch or for that matter opened the shop manual. You have to ask yourself the important question. "Do I want him learning on my bike?" If so well have fun. Otherwise you might as well learn it yourself or find another dealer.

Ok all joking aside its obvious your dealer has not even changed a clutch or for that matter opened the shop manual. You have to ask yourself the important question. "Do I want him learning on my bike?" If so well have fun. Otherwise you might as well learn it yourself or find another dealer.

That is not the case. It is me who made the error to state that the clutch was in the back of the motor.
Once the mechanic examined the bike the correction was made as to the need to remove the motor.
I don't want to trash my shop.

That is not the case. It is me who made the error to state that the clutch was in the back of the motor.
Once the mechanic examined the bike the correction was made as to the need to remove the motor.
I don't want to trash my shop.
OK sounds like a sales man does not know the mechanical sides of things where as the technician does. Great that it is working out for you can I ask why you think the detent spring need changed? Curious as I like to commit mechanical problems to memory ( its the Machinist in me) it does help when someone has a problem though, so it interests me.

OK sounds like a sales man does not know the mechanical sides of things where as the technician does. Great that it is working out for you can I ask why you think the detent spring need changed? Curious as I like to commit mechanical problems to memory ( its the Machinist in me) it does help when someone has a problem though, so it interests me.

2007 Classic with 35k miles.
A mile from home had sudden loss of resistance to the shifter pedal and when shifting to 2nd or 3rd the bike would go in gear but fall back to neural. Clutch was OK. Made it home and logged on to our group. Found the potential issue here. Trailered the bike to the shop. There was some confusion as to the necessity to separate the frame and motor to remove the front. This was cleared up rapidly. To my surprise they placed it on the lift that morning. The bike was opened up front and bottom. The broken spring was found. Unfortunately, the spring was not in stock so orders for parts were placed.

It is going smooth. Lets hope for an easy reassembly. Perhaps there is a mod with an improved spring.

2007 Classic with 35k miles.
A mile from home had sudden loss of resistance to the shifter pedal and when shifting to 2nd or 3rd the bike would go in gear but fall back to neural. Clutch was OK. Made it home and logged on to our group. Found the potential issue here. Trailered the bike to the shop. There was some confusion as to the necessity to separate the frame and motor to remove the front. This was cleared up rapidly. To my surprise they placed it on the lift that morning. The bike was opened up front and bottom. The broken spring was found. Unfortunately, the spring was not in stock so orders for parts were placed.

It is going smooth. Lets hope for an easy reassembly. Perhaps there is a mod with an improved spring.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble, hope they get you on the road in no time:)

1K9 sent me a message and after answering his question I thought I would look around.
Yes I'm back but intermittently.
I miss my friends here but life has gotten busy.

Happy ending.
After 4 hours of garage time, oil, gaskets & coolant...
Different pedal feel with pedal pressure, shifting up or down. Accurate finding neutral when shifting up or down.
Only broken part; detent spring. Snapped at the base of one of the hooks.
I hope the replacement detent spring has been improved.
Now, ready to ride.

Back