No more speed shifter!!

Azisbest

Turbocharged
Ride
2020 GT
Well I went ahead and sent my ECU up to DNK for reprogramming and it does have more oomph! But for some reason when I enable the speed shifter I get an alert saying the transmission has an issue and the speed shifter still wont enable. As long as I dont try to enable the speed shifter everything is copacetic. I called DNK but they claim nothing they did should cause this issue. Do I have to decide between the extra zip or having a speed shifter? Because I do love the speed shifter and the extra zip. Any ideas?

If the speed shifter worked as you delivered your Rocket and now it doesn't I would say DNK may without knowledge be the culprit. It may be a coincident but follow your gut. They messed up somewhere. Just a thought. I've wrong way to many times but then again...

If the speed shifter worked as you delivered your Rocket and now it doesn't I would say DNK may without knowledge be the culprit. It may be a coincident but follow your gut. They messed up somewhere. Just a thought. I've wrong way to many times but then again...
I have no doubt something in the tune is causing the issue but they claim not so I am looking for a way forward that includes using my speed shifter. Hopefully someone else has had the issue and figured out the answer, lol.

I'd say it's still possible your issue is unrelated to the tune. I have Penner's tune installed in my GT and a few weeks ago my quick shifter spontaneously stopped working. A short time after that I got a message on the screen saying there was a transmission fault. De-selecting the shift assist in the menu made the transmission fault error go away. Took it to the dealership and they walked through the quick shifter troubleshooting steps and they found a pinched wire. They replaced the quick shifter and I'm back to quick shifter WITH the extra "oomph".

If you download the service manual (available in a few posts on here) you can walk through the troubleshooting steps yourself if you're handy. Involves pulling various connectors and running continuities.

I'd say it's still possible your issue is unrelated to the tune. I have Penner's tune installed in my GT and a few weeks ago my quick shifter spontaneously stopped working. A short time after that I got a message on the screen saying there was a transmission fault. De-selecting the shift assist in the menu made the transmission fault error go away. Took it to the dealership and they walked through the quick shifter troubleshooting steps and they found a pinched wire. They replaced the quick shifter and I'm back to quick shifter WITH the extra "oomph".

If you download the service manual (available in a few posts on here) you can walk through the troubleshooting steps yourself if you're handy. Involves pulling various connectors and running continuities.
Those are my exact symptoms, thanks for sharing. I will indeed have the dealership look over the quick shifter. Was the dealer Tucson Kawasaki KTM Triumph by any chance?

A pinched wire....always makes me laugh. when this is used. Wires are not water hoses and cannot be "pinched off" as it were. As it is such low current, unless there is a complete break in the wire, a control signal will get thru "the pinch". Now, if there is a pinched cable that relies on the distance between the conductors and provides a capacitance based control signal (Fuel probes, etc), well that's a horse of another colour.

I thought that a pinched wire was one that was squeezed to the point that it was grounding out against some body panel/frame... In low voltage situations it wouldn't usually blow a fuse but generate a fault code or prevent the completion of some circuit.

I thought that a pinched wire was one that was squeezed to the point that it was grounding out against some body panel/frame... In low voltage situations it wouldn't usually blow a fuse but generate a fault code or prevent the completion of some circuit.
ding ding ding! We have a winner. In this case it makes particular sense as the quick shifter works by measuring a varying voltage determined by the position of the shift sensor. Even a very small "pinch" through the insulation to a ground can significantly affect that voltage.

Back