No more speed shifter!!

Sure, anytime a wire is "shorted" to ground, or even another wire, issues will occur. But a pinched wire is not a shorted wire. If a pinch is so bad that is breaks the wire or insulation, then we have a broken or possibly shorted wire. Apologies folks. I'm an old Radar technician and worked with coaxial cables and transmission lines. There is a bend radius for cables after which they would be considered pinched. I also laugh when the fault comes back after a tech found a "pinched wire" causing the issues. A broken or shorted wire would have been picked up by the troubleshooting continuity checks. The system would likely not pass a functional after service either.

A multimeter will still read continuity if even one strand is left attached. (It has a 1.5V battery:). If I had to pay the big bucks, I may verify the condition of a seemingly pinched wire with a better instrument or technique (light a 12V light bulb thru the wire, etc) before changing the harness and hoping the fault goes away. :) I find most faults are at the connectors / terminal points and the simple act of disconnection / reconnection during fault finding can sometimes remedy the fault. ....at least temporarily. LOL

The speed shifter is kinda like auto instead of manual, wear, tear, human error. A 40 yr nhra team owner has taught me once in first, you do not go back to the clutch lever (this is wot riding racing) , thats riding wide open to red line, engine kill, thats done with right hand, the shift assist on bikes nowadays are to help the populace buying these bikes, as all the other assist features. If you are a complete hoodlum that wants to go as fast as an alien, then you want to control that blip, thats all it is, throttle off, pedal blip, thrash it! and your tune is no problem then.

More like paddle shifters vice an automatic. We still choose the RPM. I might have agreed but for the fact that the RPM range is so short on this machine. It wouldn't be as thrilling without it. I enjoy not backing off on the throttle very much. I think the analogy may be a bit flawed.

Or, maybe the wire was pinched between something(s) which resulted in an open/loss or conductivity, or pinched the wire hard enough to expose the conductors and when the condition (the pinching action) happens again the conductors short to ground and cause a false signal.

I think when this description is used, it generally refers to the physical action/force being applied to the wire, which in turn causes the electrical condition to happen. BTW, I was and still am an "old Radar tech". ;)

Back