New (to me) 2005 R3

most of the big Harley s are very good handling bikes, now power and speed that is something else

Come on now, low-speed/counterweight handling is very different than at-speed counter-steering handling.

I was a brand new rider and I could scrape the floor boards on a Fat Bob going around a traffic circle at 25mph. If I had mid controls, I might have gotten 30mph by standing up and shifting off the seat. On the Fat Bob Lo, I'd be lucky to do that circle at 22mph. On the Street Bob, the combination of the higher maximum lean angle, mid controls, the smallest rake of all the Dyna models, and relatively skinny (at least compared to the Fat Bob) set of tires meant I could do that circle at a higher speed before scraping my pegs.

As for power and speed... the 103 Twin Cam isn't horrible, though I'd have preferred to get one of the CVO 110 cubic inch engines in there. I don't understand why Harley hasn't made the 110 Twin Cam their new standard when Indian and Victory are already up to 111 and 113 cubic inches respectively.

Welcome from Germany! Did you go ask your HD dealer to give you that high resale amount for your street bob

They actually did offer that. Kelly's Blue Book says a 2014 Street Bob in my area is worth about $10,000 (USD), and they offered a trade in at 130% of Blue Book. Stock, my bike was $13,600 plus ABS and the keyless system, so it only "lost" $2,000. Of course, the Triumph dealer said he'd give me $8k, which seemed more of what it's "worth" than Harley planning on suckering me into a bunch of extras...

Hello J and welcome from VA. Of those bikes you mentioned, the Fat Bob is my favorite Dyna but the Vrod feel better to ride.

%130 for trade in on a more expensive bike at the Harley shop isn't the same as resale value ;) if he'd have given $13k straight out for it, I'd have been impressed with him :D

Welcome from North Carolina. I'm new also but this seems to be a great site with lots of info and good people. I'm sure you will love your Rocket! I traded in my Harley for mine and couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the site from New Jersey, Captain J. Those Mad Dogs do emit a beautiful note, but they are virtually as restrictive as as the stock exhaust setup. I removed mine late last year and replaced them with Carpenter's Brute, http://www.carpenterracing.com/products_TRIII_megaphone.htm, gaining about 30 ponies and 25 ft lbs of torque in the process.

For your palavering edification, here's the original marketing info for the Mad Dogs, which are woth approx. $500 in the secondary market, IMO:

Enjoy the ride!

Back