New R3 owner in Jacksonville, FL

SausageCreature

.020 Over
Ride
2006 R3 Classic
Greetings,

I just picked up my 2006 Classic two days ago. Enjoying it so far!

My previous ride was a Honda 919 (or Hornet 900, depending on the country). Had that bike for 10 years and loved every minute, but I needed something better for two-up rides with the wife. I nearly got a Dyna Wide-Glide instead, but my wife loved the Rocket even more than I did and pushed me in that direction (she's a keeper). We both preferred the Roadster (she liked the stripes), but an extremely clean 2006 Classic popped up at a local dealership at a fair price, so I jumped.

And I mean it's cleeeeeean...not a scratch, scuff or spot of rust and nearly new tires to boot! Plus the PO added all the stuff I would have ended up adding anyway (windshield, passenger backrest and rack). I much prefer pegs to floorboards, but at least the PO removed the heel shifter (can't stand those). It's got a little over 32k miles on it, but I don't consider that high mileage, and hopefully that means I got a good one without all the mechanical issues (cam chain sprocket, gearbox, etc) or they've already been addressed.

A few observations:

1) Handling is much better than I expected. Sure it banks and rolls like a bomber instead of flitting and darting like a fighter, but it does so with surprising grace and willingness. It's much more eager to turn than any HD I've ridden. (My brother had a Superglide Sport for a while...supposedly the best handling Dyna. But I swear it felt like you had to stand with both feet on the inside peg and lean out with your whole body to get it to turn...like sailing a catamaran.)

2) The suspension feels plenty compliant for the roads around here, even two-up. I haven't experienced the harshness from the rear shocks that some complain about. However, could I maybe get side order of damping with that please? It does seem kinda bouncy out back at times. Ah well, the shocks are almost 10 years old after all, so it could be time for new ones.

3) I'm going to need better ear plugs. The TORS aren't too loud, but the low frequency cuts right through the cheapo drugstore earplugs I use. They were (and are) great for filtering out high frequency wind noise, but the drone from the pipes at 70+ mph is seriously going to get on my nerves.

4) I gotta get this thing remapped. The dealer tech claimed it had the correct map for the TORS and cat removal, but it's still not quite right. Abrupt off->on throttle response? Absolutely. Mid-range flat spots? Yup, got those too! Popping on a closed throttle? Sure, have your fill and take some home for the missus!

Anyway, sorry for the length, and looking forward to hanging out here a while!

Last edited:
Welcome from Ocala.You need to get a cable for Tuneecu then you can change tunes yourself and a whole lot more .wish I was computer savvy so I could do my own.

Very nice.... Welcome from down under.
You seem to be missing your left hand muffler- this may explain some tuning issues.

Very nice.... Welcome from down under.
You seem to be missing your left hand muffler- this may explain some tuning issues.

Here we go. Doesn't look like standard TORs if the left hand one is missing. Coming with a standard TORs tune though...

There's a chance to get rid of the abrupt throttle if you do the 12mins tune. Start without touching the throttle, wait until the fan goes on, then let it idle for 12 mins more.
Welcome!

Here we go. Doesn't look like standard TORs if the left hand one is missing. Coming with a standard TORs tune though...

There's a chance to get rid of the abrupt throttle if you do the 12mins tune. Start without touching the throttle, wait until the fan goes on, then let it idle for 12 mins more.
Welcome!
The throttle abruptness I can ride around...learned to do it on my 919.

Here's a pic of the RHS of the bike showing the current exhaust system. If it's not TORS, any idea what it could be? It's got the stock (I assume) 3-1 exhaust header, a 1-2 mid pipe, and the two mufflers as shown.

20151106_154110.jpg

Welocme from the UK too. Sounds like a goodun.
Same comments re the cans etc.

Back