new owner...maybe...huh?

Narflar

Standard Bore
I got my eye on an 05 rocket3 and am wondering is there anything I should watch out for on that model year? I hear a lot of discussion on this board about bad idle. What's it like? How expensive is it to fix? Are there any other issues to watch out for?

Thanks in advance

Idle Chatter

I got my R3 the end of April, 2005 and haven't had an issue with idling. I understand some have and I think some involved the engine dying and others just too low of an RPM. Mine hits about 800 at start and within several seconds it's down and settled at 400 RPM.

Hi Narflar welcome. There have been some model updates along the way, rear brake line rerouted, kickstand changed, clutch internals, and oil pan design are what I can think of off the top of my head. But nothing that should cause you to steer clear of a particular model year. It seems the throttle position sensor adjustment or sometimes replacement solves the idle issue.

There is also a Triumph service bulletin out for the idle issue. It involves loading a corrected fuel map. I have not had much of an idle problem, but they loaded the map when I had my bike in for a tire change and I must say my bike does idle alot smoother.

I also have an '05 Rocket. I bought it second hand and have not had problems with it. It had undergone the 500 mile scheduled maintanence (maybe a little late) but I have had no problems issues with idle or how it performs. It had the final drive issue addressed before I purchased it. I am so giddy every time I climb on board & fire it up. I plan on getting the PCIII or the Tumeboy next spring to see what extra reponse I can acquire from a good throttle "whacking" but I could not be any happier, unless I had 2 Rockets.

See ya.

I also have an '05 Rocket. I bought it second hand and have not had problems with it. It had undergone the 500 mile scheduled maintanence (maybe a little late) but I have had no problems issues with idle or how it performs. It had the final drive issue addressed before I purchased it. I am so giddy every time I climb on board & fire it up. I plan on getting the PCIII or the Tumeboy next spring to see what extra reponse I can acquire from a good throttle "whacking" but I could not be any happier, unless I had 2 Rockets.

See ya.

What's the final drive issue?

Here is a post by one of our more reliable information sources. He explains it better than I could.

Link RemovedLink Removed
Administrator and Janitor

The internal seal in the rear drive tube would leak, but when it did so it leaked into the tube and not anywhere visible. The perceived danger was that it possibly could leak enough fluid that the final drive could go dry without you ever knowing it. I don't think that has ever happened. You could check your final drive lube by removing the fill plug and possibly your dealer did just that.

I got my R3 the end of April, 2005 and haven't had an issue with idling. I understand some have and I think some involved the engine dying and others just too low of an RPM. Mine hits about 800 at start and within several seconds it's down and settled at 400 RPM.
My 06 Rocket Classic idles around 800 rpm, I'm sure it would stall if it were to idle that low. I can let the clutch out at an idle two up with no stall. What is proper idle rpm. I curious what others call normal. ( not meaning to steal this post sorry!)

My 06 Rocket Classic idles around 800 rpm, I'm sure it would stall if it were to idle that low. I can let the clutch out at an idle two up with no stall. What is proper idle rpm. I curious what others call normal. ( not meaning to steal this post sorry!)

ya good question. I would have figurd 400 rpm would be next to stalling.

Back