New Avon Cobra Chrome - any good

I have set up this page in the hope that someone from anywhere on the globe can get their hands on a set of cobra chrome tyres and put them on their R3 - giving us all an honest review. Grip dry and wet and wear rate when possible.
I put Avon Cobra Chromes on my R3 T in December and absolutely love them. Metzler discontinued the radial version of the front tire for the R3T, so technically, these were the only option for radial tires. Handling is vastly improved over the Metzlers. My shop said they’ve had great feedback from Honda Valkyrie owners on Avon Cobras. They’re getting 18K miles out of the rear tires if you can believe that. My mechanic is a big proponent of over-inflating tires. 42psi cold; check the pressure at least once a week.

John Miller...can you run a tape measure over the rear tire for me please?...I want to know the diameter ...not how fat but rather across...is it 800 and something mls or????..thanx ..

John Miller...can you run a tape measure over the rear tire for me please?...I want to know the diameter ...not how fat but rather across...is it 800 and something mls or????..thanx ..

I take it you want me to measure the circumference of the tyre fitted.

Well when I get a few minutes I will gladly do that for you.

Thanks @Tal for bringing the tyre diameter to my attention. It measures 652mm in diameter by calculation after measuring the circumference of the tyre when fitted. A std 50 profile tyre should measure 645mm whilst a 55 profile such as the Bridgestone Excedra Max should measure 671mm.
It seems that Avon have added a little more diameter above the standard it wont take too long to wear that off.

I have just completed another 300km today. At least 50% of which was in the rain or on wet roads, so I can report that the avon chrome tyres felt good in the wet I was travelling with two other bikes a rocket on std Avon Cobra'sand a Honda Valkerye that had a Cobra front and a Dunlop rear. The Honda was two up and slipping and sliding all over whilst both my Rocket and the other had no problems at all. The chrome tyres handles the conditions well I can say that the tyres inspired confidence in the wet - the more distance travelled the more comfortable I felt with them. Sure footed and rock solid on the wet greasy twisty roads a comfortable experience, left me feeling very happy with the chromes. Would I recommend them - most definitely - will they give good mileage - I don't know but Avon say they will give better mileage than the AV71/72 Cobra's - only time will tell.

Back