Grizzled and Frazzled

Standard Bore
Ride
2008 Rocket III Classic
Hey gang. I've had my Rocket III Classic for 3 years now and have found it to be excellent on all counts. On my recent ride I burnt my right rear indicator bulb. Easy fix, right? Well, If it can be broke, I'll do it. I'll tell my sad tale, but the gist is that now I can't get the right side (front or rear) to work at all. Here's the steps taken so far.
1. Rear bulb quit and indicated rapid flash in the front.
2. While replacing the burnt bulb I jammed the negative clip backward into the positive conductor. Fuse blew immediately.
3. Replaced fuse. No signal on right. Left works just fine.
4. While unjamming the negative prong, I snap it off. Too much force. Yeah, I know.
5. Order a new turn assembly. Can't get just the silver dish the bulb sits in.
6. Replace the whole works they sent me. Rear housing, bulb, wires. Still not working. I connected the wires blk to blk/white to green.
7. 4 prong flasher relay makes noise on left, none on right. Replaced it. Same sad result.
8. Tried replacing the other (5 prong) relay that sits next to it (I have no idea what it does), but it didn't make a difference.
9. Made this account and post.
Any Gurus out there with an answer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Well me from one of the Aussies.
Shoulda sung out about the part you needed as some of us have stuff lying arround.
As for your issue:
Try taking all the right hand bulbs out and recheck with a test light, recheck ALL the fuses.
If still not working you may have fried the flasher unit.
Maybe @DEcosse has a suggestion, if he does be sure to listen.

G/day grizz, welcome along,a lot of good advice n good people here:thumbsup: suck it up n enjoy mate:Dfrom OZ /// RABBIT

Well me from one of the Aussies.
Shoulda sung out about the part you needed as some of us have stuff lying arround.
As for your issue:
Try taking all the right hand bulbs out and recheck with a test light, recheck ALL the fuses.
If still not working you may have fried the flasher unit.
Maybe @DEcosse has a suggestion, if he does be sure to listen.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at all the bulbs and fuses and they looked good, but I will try them with the tester. The flash unit still works for the left side- is there a separate one for the right side somewhere? I put a new one in and it had the same results as the original- left clicks only.

Thanks for the greetings ands suggestions, everyone. Any more advice is appreciated. Sadly, I can't do anything more until Saturday, but I'll try what's been mentioned so far. Seems like a good bunch of guys around here! :cool:

Only one flasher. Speaking from experience when something like this happens to me it usually means that I did something wrong along the way. My first first suggestion would be to go back and carefully check every connection that you made to ensure you didn't introduce an accidental short into the system. Assuming that everything is as stated then I'm baffled. Replacing a turn signal isn't that big a job and pretty straight forward. When you say "While replacing the burnt bulb I jammed the negative clip backward into the positive conductor. Fuse blew immediately" do you mean you put the bulb in backwards? @DEcosse is your man. Very helpful and knowledgeable guy. Only other advice I can offer is don't let the smoke out of the wires...it's real hard to put it back in ;)

Back