Molly 60 to be discontinued

As a soldier I can attest to the fact that at least the army doesn't really use a lot of lube. lol
Not using it and not having access to it are not the same thing.

One thing I'd like to mention here about MoS2 is that it does NOT work well if the environment is damp and hot. MoS2 is hydrophilic (attracts moisture)
My guess is that for 95% of R3 owners an oilbath for the splines would be a better solution - or Low Temp grease ( with some Moly if you like).
I'm sure some of the rubbing spline syndrome is in fact surface rust from dried out then dampened Moly leading to Iron Oxide paste.

OSG (One Shot Grease) for 4WD CV hubs will probably fit most folk's needs.
I've never asked - but what do you think cars like Bugatti Verons use on their splines.

I ordered the dana spicer extra HD for big rig molly lube $13 and change if it keeps the big rig going should then be good for my spline

If it can stand the pressure produced hauling 62tonnes of dead weight up and over the Toowoomba Range in Qld with over 2000ftlb of torque twisting the splines ,I dare say the Rocket won't test it out much:whitstling::whitstling:

I was going to use Motul Tech Grease 300, it's a lithium extreme pressure grease, anyone know much about it. image.jpg

Hi all,

The old style Honda Valkyrie suffered severe failures if the rear splines weren't religiously maintained, - and sometimes even if they were (DAMHIK). Some guys on the VRCC forum persuaded a company in Houston, TX to produce a moly product that would fully protect the Valk's rear splines, and apparently it works extremely well.

https://guarddogmoly.com/product/gd-570-moly-paste-antiseize/

Personally I didn't use it. The local Honda shop (whom I trust) came to recommend Bel-Ray assembly grease. I sold my '99 Valk for my Rocket III (standard) in 2010 and have 41K miles on here using the Bel-Ray. I check the splines every rear tire change (MC tire) and they are perfect.

Hope this helps,
Mark Dunn

Back