Mis-firing at constant speed

Talked with dealer about poor running. They claim since valves have never been adjusted,52000 miles, this could be the cause. Only does it after bike is hot. Said he was pretty sure,hope so. $500.00 to adjust,ouch!
500 to check adjustment, bummer

Well, ya know, at 70+ years old, "IF", and that's a big "IF" the mechanic knows what he's doing, and has done it more than once, before, I think I might pay $500 total, "IF" I needed a valve adjustment. As an example, I'd gladly give Mr Warp $500 to work his majic on my valve train. However, my 3 Rockets are running just fine.

If you haven't adjusted the valves in 52,000 miles, you might need more than just an adjustment. Might need a valve job or a new head. I think one fellow posted last year that he hadn't adjusted his valves going way beyond the recommended adjustment period and he needed a new cylinder head. Don't forget that the intake valves on this engine tend to lose clearance. Once the clearance is lost, the valves can't close to cool off and eventually cook the valves and seats. Hope this isn't the case with your ride.

You need to adjust the valves now or at least confirm that you still have clearance between the valves and cams.

Back