MC Cruise Control Info

Pig9r

Living Legend
Thanks to XhdR3rider for the photos and info....

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Haven’t finished the model-specific instructions yet, but this is how the components look on the bike and all the relevant setup and other instructions. We have some dealers selling our products in the USA and elsewhere, but mostly we sell direct.[/FONT]

Best regards,

Tony Guymer
Director
MotorCycle Cruise Controls Pty. Ltd
6 Kingston Street
Mount Waverley, Victoria, 3149 AUSTRALIA
Ph. +61 3 9808 2804 Fax. + 61 3 9808 2445
email: mcsetup@bigpond.net.au
Web Sites: Link Removed Link Removed & http://www.mccruise.com

Upon close examination of the pictures, the servo unit (under the balancer shaft side of the motor, RH side) looks to be a Audiovox CSS servo. I'm not entirely comfortable with that location for a couple of reasons. It's right out in the weather, gets water spray off the front wheel and it 'looks' out of place. I see the vacuum line coming off the top along with the feed wires. I do like the boot. I also see that you are obtaining VSS pulses from a Hall effect ring and transducer mounted on the front wheel but there is already a VSS unit on the R3s so why not use that? I also see that you have your own electronics package under the LH side cover but then, the CSS electronics could be under your lid, we don't know. You have a nifty little plastic cover on the cable loop on the LH side but you could have mounted the servo under the LH side cover and routed the cable under the tank with a short "U" terminating at the throttle cam and did away with the cover entirely. You are still left with a vacuum problem as you are using an electronically controlled over vacuum pulled servo. Again, the R3's engine won't provide enough vacuum to continuously modulate the servo without the addition of vacuum holding tanks which, with space at a premium on the Rocket, are a PITA.

The complete CSS unit at 100 bucks USD and a vacuum pump from the bone for another 25 along with some brackets from aluminum sheet is a better alternative, that is, if one is willing to take the time and has the impetus to do it. Yours is a nice turn-key system if you are into p-lug-and-play. I'm not. Somehow, a 750 (actually more considering the exchange rate) dollar difference grabs my attention.

Here is what XhdR3rider was told regarding vacuum issues.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There are four separate sources of vacuum on the Rocket. Three of them come together on top of the motor (one hose from each cylinder) and then to the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Vacuum). This sensor is part of the fuel injection mapping. We can use this (and did test using this) but because of the vacuum sharing between the three cylinders, this does not work well (pretty crappy in fact). Any vacuum produced on one cylinder tends to bleed off to the other two, resulting in very low vacuum levels overall.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There is also a separate vacuum port on the rear cylinder that is blanked off. We tapped into this port and the cruise worked very well.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']We are working on the installation instructions at the moment and hope to have the cruise available in a couple of weeks.[/FONT]

Best regards,

Tony Guymer
Director
MotorCycle Cruise Controls Pty. Ltd
6 Kingston Street
Mount Waverley, Victoria, 3149 AUSTRALIA
Ph. +61 3 9808 2804 Fax. + 61 3 9808 2445
email: mcsetup@bigpond.net.au
Web Sites: Link Removed Link Removed & http://www.mccruise.com

Sidecar,

Not sure who are you talking to? If it's me, I just got the pictures. Not my system.

You have some good points. I just hope that you also make them with Tony at Motorcycle-cruise as well, especially if puts another well engineered option on the street for us.

Some of us may not be able to craft home made devices, spending the extra time and effort to make them work, and therefore would pay the turnkey premium. Cost-wise, they are expensive. Thanks for your insights.

Steve

Sidecar,

Not sure who are you talking to? If it's me, I just got the pictures. Not my system.

You have some good points. I just hope that you also make them with Tony at Motorcycle-cruise as well, especially if puts another well engineered option on the street for us.

Some of us may not be able to craft home made devices, spending the extra time and effort to make them work, and therefore would pay the turnkey premium. Cost-wise, they are expensive. Thanks for your insights.

Steve

I was addressing no one directly, just pointing out the inherent weaknesses of the system. I don't ever see widespread use of any aftermarket speed control on the R3 because of the space and component restraints. In all actuality, just relieving the heavy spring pressure exerted on the twist grip by the over zealous throttle spring, makes riding the beast 100% more enjoyable.

A reverse would be nice but a 6th gear or a wider ratio gearbox with 5 speeds would work even better. There is plenty of space in the cavernous gearbox for another set of cogs.

I too wish we had a 6th gear. 70mph at same RPM as my old SE Road King. I did the throttlemeister myself and REALLY am glad I have it:D Also have the lazybag. Great combo. Now all need is the rivco riser (on its way) and all will be well within reach.

Do appreciate the insights.

Steve

Back