Mantelpiece Artefacts

Ill be placing my broken Trans gears on my desk at work for people to fiddle with. Also, 2 bent Ti valves, a piston missing a chunk from bending the Ti valves, a mauled pair of lifter buckets, exploded water pump output hose, and then 1 complete trans ( I found the paper work, nearly every piece was replaced during the first rebuild).

Add in a smoked PC-V (dealer tech connected it backwards...), and I think that's all the damage I've done so far :p

Ill be placing my broken Trans gears on my desk at work for people to fiddle with. Also, 2 bent Ti valves, a piston missing a chunk from bending the Ti valves, a mauled pair of lifter buckets, exploded water pump output hose, and then 1 complete trans ( I found the paper work, nearly every piece was replaced during the first rebuild).

Add in a smoked PC-V (dealer tech connected it backwards...), and I think that's all the damage I've done so far :p

Rob,
If ya have a tappet bucket, please give me the OD and wall thickness?

I never got it back, I think the stock size is listed in the manual in the specifications section. The ones in my bike are 32mm.

I never got it back, I think the stock size is listed in the manual in the specifications section. The ones in my bike are 32mm.

Thanks for that!
Should be the same fit into the head regardless of over or under, wouldn't you reckon?

Man I never thought of bragging rights on broken bits :)
I've had a few well maybe more then a few. Blower cover, transmission input shaft along with the exploded internal clutch hub 7 or eight ashtrays of varrious compressions. Heck it took me two sets of triumph fog light mounts to realize they are not made for high speed landings. I am sure there is more I am trying to forget
:D

You make our troubles look like minor inconveniences, for that I salute you :D

luck of the Irish my ass!! Murphy law??

It's Smith's Law... which is that Murphy was an optimist :sick:

@R-III-R Turbo
Can/would you tell me what the diameter of the lifter cup is?

2012 Carpenter 240 setup; 28.0mm OD, 19.5mm height, 0.9mm wall thickness

OEM:
upload_2018-6-30_8-39-16.png

What was that change you mention?
Will that stop '13 on instruments and / or ECUs from working on '10-'12 Roadsters with stock wiring looms.

Would a switch to the later wiring loom be required as well?

I have heard mentioned that the earlier '10-12/13 Roadsters have a different tune set up with 1st-3rd gear and secondaries opening %.

From my experience it appears that Triumph changed the clocks, main harness and GPS in mid 2013 (# 574813 i think). Why; i speculate it was (at least) to do with the GPS fault in early Roadsters.

The GPS change memo stated the changeover procedure is to be used for bikes up to Rocket engine #596480. The GPS change also impacted a rake of other Triumph models. After engine #596481 is seems the new GPS can connect to the new harness.

Not 100% sure but it seems the 2 versions of the main harness for Roadsters are for VIN 482858 to 500140 and 503167+, and the other one does up to 482857 and from 500141 to 503166.

They offer both sets of parts ('10-'13 and '13-present) because you might need a set of clocks to go with your '10-'13 harness and GPS, etc.

The change from what I've seen is a different GPS (looks the same except for the connector - old one was 3 wire, new one is 4 wire). If you have the old harness, you'll need the GPS with "fly lead" which is an adapter cable to mate it to new harnesses. The adapter cable also splices into the primary TPS connectors.
It also requires a few wires to be switched around in the clocks.

But if you're like me and you updated the main harness, the new GPS will connect straight into it without the adapter cable.
And my clocks were already rewired to suit since i had the adapter cable and old harness for a while.

ECU is common afaik, as i've had 2010, March 2013 and 2017 ECUs in my bike with the new clock wiring/old harness/new GPS and adapter cable. The same ECUs (well, don't know about the 2010 lol) work with the new harness etc too

Re the difference in map between old and new Roadsters - this coincides with the harness clock and GPS update, so I think the change is linked to the map differences.
Think since mid 2013 the ECUs have to be unlocked by Triumph software on the bike that they'll be used on.
I sent my March 2013 ECU to rob and it wouldn't work on his bike. The ECU was unlocked on my bike so I think it's mated to it.
I'm working on figuring this one out.
If @Claviger sends me his 2014 ECU all will become known :sneaky:

Last edited:
Man I never thought of bragging rights on broken bits :)
I've had a few well maybe more then a few. Blower cover, transmission input shaft along with the exploded internal clutch hub 7 or eight ashtrays of varrious compressions. Heck it took me two sets of triumph fog light mounts to realize they are not made for high speed landings. I am sure there is more I am trying to forget
:D
Is that all? :p
I could add a second gear, shift dogs, 2 timing chain tensioners, 2 cam shafts, a cam ladder, 6 titanium intake valves, 2 crankshafts, 2 crankcases, and 6 connecting rods. :whitstling:

Is that all? :p
I could add a second gear, shift dogs, 2 timing chain tensioners, 2 cam shafts, a cam ladder, 6 titanium intake valves, 2 crankshafts, 2 crankcases, and 6 connecting rods. :whitstling:

Any pics?

I wonder are you unlucky or do you just thrash that poor bike :roll:

Back