Looks like I'll be rockinit by tonight!

doubledown11

.020 Over
Hey guys. Great forum! Thanks for all the info that has helped me make my decision. Just put down a deposit on a '05 yesterday. Going @ 120 miles today on a trip with a trailer. If it is everything described to me I will be the proud owner of a rocket. I've got a trophy 1200 in the garage that will be going up for sale (anyone looking for a good deal in the SE?). One big question....what are my options for exhaust? I've seen some member bikes such as busajack that I would love to know what they are running for exhaust. Everyone please tell me I'm buying the right bike(I'm in the right place for that , right). I'd been looking at other nice rides such as yamaha warrior and suzuki M109R when this popped up. As an old Triumph owner I've got a soft spot. The purchase details are as follows:
Red '05. 5800mi. Saddlebags, sissy bar w/ luggage rack, windscreen. Brand new rear tire not even mounted yet. $8059 OTD.

Any other riders in SC (or NC, GA) want to ride soon. It's gettin' a little cooler soon.

Last edited:
You'll be pleased, as long as the previous owner was proud of her and cared for her as he should have.

Lots of exhaust info here. Get yourself familiar with the search tool and read til your hearts content.

Sounds to me like you made a great deal. What color? Make sure you take it for a test ride & listen carefully to the engine & drive train. You will hear lots of different noises which are common place for the Rocket, but try to detect any "concerning" ones.

"Rocket On" DD11

Welcome to the group.

Hey guys. Great forum! Thanks for all the info that has helped me make my decision. Just put down a deposit on a '05 yesterday. Going @ 120 miles today on a trip with a trailer. If it is everything described to me I will be the proud owner of a rocket. I've got a trophy 1200 in the garage that will be going up for sale (anyone looking for a good deal in the SE?). One big question....what are my options for exhaust? I've seen some member bikes such as busajack that I would love to know what they are running for exhaust. Everyone please tell me I'm buying the right bike(I'm in the right place for that , right). I'd been looking at other nice rides such as yamaha warrior and suzuki M109R when this popped up. As an old Triumph owner I've got a soft spot. The purchase details are as follows:
Red '05. 5800mi. Saddlebags, sissy bar w/ luggage rack, windscreen. Brand new rear tire not even mounted yet. $8059 OTD.

Any other riders in SC (or NC, GA) want to ride soon. It's gettin' a little cooler soon.

Welcome....

I test rode the R3 at the Honda Hoot in June and when I got home to Wisconsin I sold my 14 month old Warrior and bought a new '07 R3. The Warrior was a great bike but no comparison. No personal experience with the M109, but when I bought the Warrior there was one on the showroom floor along with the VTX1800. Wasn't too keen on the M109 plastic (yes, lots of chrome stuff was actually plastic).

Let us know how you make out. I had the Triumph dealer install the TOR and cat eliminator then re-map prior to delivery. Pretty satisfied with the current performance, but a Tuneboy is on my Christmas list.

John

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon enough. Thanks for sharing on your warrior experience. I've been hung up on them for awhile but this deal seems too good to pass up. We'll know by late this afternoon. The size of the Rocket also draws me in. I'm 6'3" and 320lbs. Seems appropriate that I should sport a big bike;)

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon enough. Thanks for sharing on your warrior experience. I've been hung up on them for awhile but this deal seems too good to pass up. We'll know by late this afternoon. The size of the Rocket also draws me in. I'm 6'3" and 320lbs. Seems appropriate that I should sport a big bike;)

Knowing your physical details you'll be much happier than with the Warrior. I'm also 6'3" and my knees were above the tank on the stock Warrior pegs. You've got a few pounds on me, but the factory Warrior seat was unsat and the stock rear shock would not work for your weight.

I got the new Triumph R3 seat with the backrest as the first mod. I would recommend this highly. I'm sure there are other options available, but at a 20% discount through the dealer it was a very inexpensive upgrade and makes a world of difference in comfort. Also, it's very well made and easily adjustable. Now I have to figure how to move the rider pegs and bars for a better riding position. I'm also looking at the cruiser bars or the Valkyrie bar swap and a set of pull-back risers to sit more upright. It's a work in process and I'm loving every minute of it.

Pianoman

Pianoman, don't you have a backrest on your beast?
I'm strongly considering one myself; the new Classic Seat with adjustable rider back-rest p/n: A9708164.

Last edited:
Pianoman, don't you have a backrest on your beast?
I'm strongly considering one myself; the new Classic Seat with adjustable rider back-rest p/n: A9708164.

If you want the backrest too, the p/n is A9708160 at retail $169.99

Last edited:
Another for the South East

Double Down...... Like Rusty mentioned, take a test ride just to be sure whenever it's used. I don't think you'll have any complaints with the R3. As a Rocket Captain, you're ride doesn't care how much you weigh.... it just hauls ass. [ At 6'3" and 405 ... mine has to make 2 trips ] :eek:

Back