Looking for advice...

R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
I have a chance to lay hands on an '02 Honda Shadow 1100 with 4k miles on it for next to nothing. I have exactly 0 experience with these things so I have a couple questions...

1.) I have heard that Honda makes good, reliable bikes but do they make any power (relatively speaking of course)?
2.) How is the aftermarket for them?

If I buy this thing my plan would be to turn it into some sort of hotrod, bar hopper looking thing...practice my chop shop skills, etc

Very reliable and smooth running. Very low power.
I'd suggest a Suzuki VS 1400 to make a low cost chopped bar hopper with some low end power.

Um, it's a Honda. Pretty sure there's more of them on the road than anything else. You shouldn't have any trouble getting virtually anything you want or need for it go or look however you want. Should be a fun project.

The aftermarket for Honda Shadow 1100's is ENORMOUS. The engines in stock form are ridiculously understressed and, because of that, very reliable. However, you should be able to find plenty of go-fast(er) aftermarket stuff for the bike.

However, that being said, I go along with the Suzuki recommendations here. I've always liked Suzukis and the 1400, with that "tilted" tank makes a nice foundation for a custom job.

Intrtuder1400.jpg

I had a 1100 shadow for a while, nice bike never had an ounce of trouble with it, my only complaint was that it seemed to have a short wheelbase, it always felt too small.

I recently bought an 03 750 shadow as a learner bike for my son. It will be good for that.
I test drove it before buying. My first thought was what a piece of crap, stepping off the Rocket and strait onto it.

In reality for a bike that is only rated at 38 hp if I remember correctly. It really does run pretty good. Not powerful but really smooth, rides good and handles good. Would be a great learner bike. On really cool mornings it starts easier than my Rocket does.

The aftermarket for Honda Shadow 1100's is ENORMOUS. The engines in stock form are ridiculously understressed and, because of that, very reliable. However, you should be able to find plenty of go-fast(er) aftermarket stuff for the bike.

However, that being said, I go along with the Suzuki recommendations here. I've always liked Suzukis and the 1400, with that "tilted" tank makes a nice foundation for a custom job.

Intrtuder1400.jpg
That is a nice one, but it's an 800. They are water cooled and actually faster in the 1/4 mile than the 1400 because of the power to weight ratio.

Back