Taximan

Taximan,welcome. Does that taxi have a hemi? Is that a blower scoop on the roof...Cool Used to have an anglea..Crazy Jack

Nice cab, nice website

Taxi Cabs are an interesting animal.
Actually, there are no purpose built cabs in this country anymore. With the demise of Checker Motors in Kalamazoo, Michigan, purpose built cabs were extinct. Checker survives today but only as a second tier supplier to General Motors. Checker stamps out sub assemblies and sheet metal for GM, which by the way, owns Checker Motors.

I've delivered steel many times to Checker. They still have a Checker Cab museum on the property with pristine examples of Checker Cabs, even my favorite yellow with black and white checkered striping on the top of the fenders. The Checker cab had the underpinnings of a Chevy 1/2 ton truck, full frame, 3 speed Muncie cast iron gearbox, column shifted, GM's bullet proof in line 6 and a durable but austere interior.

You could buy a Checker and use it for a personal vehicle, I knew a guy who had one. They always lasted a couple of hundred thousand miles, something that cars today don't attain and car manufacturers don't want them too either.

Cabs in this country seem to lean toward the Chevy full size or the Ford Crown Vic. Neither compare to the Checker for utility, ease of entry and exit and longevity.

I suspect the English cab will see good sales here, especially with a durable Ford built diesel and good reliability.

Back