Lean vs Rich, Exhausts and the lust for more performance. Honest Question.

Seems to me you need to have a specific objective before undertaking mods. Evidently compliance with regs and emissions is a component in the engineer's choices, so before you even start you have to be willing to bend those rules.
Performance is always a compromise. Having struggled with tuning with a couple of Ducs down low I have developed a bias for smooth delivery (think ascending tight mountain switchbacks). The range on the R3 is so short it can hardly afford a large increase in consumption, for my intended use.

Including extras like the backrest and luggage rack, not to mention the tracker, I've spent over 28k euro to get my dream machine, so I am leaving it stock, at least until the warranty runs out :)

Including extras like the backrest and luggage rack, not to mention the tracker, I've spent over 28k euro to get my dream machine, so I am leaving it stock, at least until the warranty runs out :)
Are you referring to the passenger back rest or has somebody come up with one for the rider as well?

I think it is fair to say that modern engines do not run at the best they could perform due to regulatory standards - mainly emission and noise. As we all know, new engines run very lean, especially in the reve ranges where emissions are measured. Carefully adjusting these setttings are not likely to do any harm to the engine (if the person doing it knows what he or she is doing, of course). Short of owning a dyno, the combination of a Powercommander with an Autotune module has been a good solution for me.

The question of tuning a Rocket 3 to me is not primarily about more power. The question to me would be: Is the stock engine already the best it can be? Or is it limited, strangled and de-tuned - and desperately longing to be freed? ;)

I think it is fair to say that modern engines do not run at the best they could perform due to regulatory standards - mainly emission and noise. As we all know, new engines run very lean, especially in the reve ranges where emissions are measured. Carefully adjusting these setttings are not likely to do any harm to the engine (if the person doing it knows what he or she is doing, of course). Short of owning a dyno, the combination of a Powercommander with an Autotune module has been a good solution for me.

The question of tuning a Rocket 3 to me is not primarily about more power. The question to me would be: Is the stock engine already the best it can be? Or is it limited, strangled and de-tuned - and desperately longing to be freed? ;)
165 hp doesn’t sound like limited, strangled or detuned. It’s s crapload more than the previous Rockets.

I am a little outside this discussion.... How lucky you are if you can modify the engine of any bike without any insurance concerns.

I asked to my insurance company in France what I could modify on my bike and keep their guaranty when riding on public road.
The answer was very clear: brakes, lights, shock absorbers.... everything which increases safety is agreed.
But, as soon as you modify the engine performance, you will not be covered if an expertise demonstrates that your engine is not in stock configuration.

Afterwards, it my choice. But I consider that these R3 have already enough torque and power to get fun riding with them.

Carpe Diem

....turns out the tune in the "R" model at least is capable and dosnt require change even after the cat box has been removed and a new exhaust system has been installed. The end result has the 'sound' we all love...not too loud so as too turn the public's head but certainly will turn the heads of those who know what 'nice' is....
imagejpeg_1.jpg

Well said Tgessner, I too use the Power Commander and Auto tune.

Back