britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
Last Sunday, after about a 200 mile ride my R/3 quit idling completely and started backfiring when down shifting about 20 miles from home. Long story short, I topped off with fuel, let it competely cool down and did a 12 minute tune and it seems fine now. The bike has had the good old described "paint can rattle" since about the 1k mark and is at 3600 miles presently. I have read all of the posts on this site and Triumphrat.net concering these issues and suggested repairs and I guess I am just a little frustrated. I contacted the Virginia dealer who I purchased the bike from about the idle problem and the service manager (he sounded to be everyday of 17 years old and asked what an R/3 was) stated he had not heard of any idle problems with the Rocket and had no bulletins about the issue, surprise. When I inquired as to how my Power Commander would effect and idle remap, I might as well requested an explantion of quantum physics from a tit mouse. Does anyone have an intelligent answer, please. Anyway, please don't get me wrong, the Rocket is most awsome motorcycle I have ever owned. I love the power, the way it handles, and the overall look of the beast. I am disgusted with the fact that Triumph is not that well known after 10 years or so of being back in the picture and their dealer network is so limited. (I did have better luck with a dealer in Maryland, Clinton Cycles, and will take the bike to them for service.) If that doesn't work I made a copy of Toystoretoms' mechanical idle adjustment procedure. Now that I have vented, I just need to hear from some of you guys who have at least 20k on your R/3 (paint can rattle or not) and your bike is still running strong. I would still rather push my Rocket and than go back to riding Harley!!!

britman said:
When I inquired as to how my Power Commander would effect and idle remap, I might as well requested an explantion of quantum physics from a tit mouse.

I've got a tit mouse on hold, in the back, that is gonna explain the whole quantum physics fiasco to you in a moment. He said he needs to know if you want it from "before" the big bang or the simple "after" the big bang explanation? He told me that if you need to know how that all breaks down in the event horizon....to get in touch with that 17 year old service tech at the local Triumph shop.

Man...that some funny s%$t in your post. I'm sure hoping someone here can help you out though. I'm not familar with the power commander. I just had to respond!:roll:

Last edited:
The paint can rattle "may" be the lower timing chain sproclet. Have the competent dealer check your timing chain tension and see if this improves or at least changes the rattle, that may be a clue as to what I said about the lower sprocket. I haven't heard this rattle myself but others have talked about it and that is one cause of the noise that some dealers have found. Believe it or not... some Rockets display a valve train noise that has gone away as if it fixed itself... that also sounds a little like a rattle. I rode a demo bike that had this noise.

The runnability issue and bad idle... WilburT found that he had a bad primary throttle position potentiometer. This caused an off idle glitch which doesn't sound like your exact problem but you never know. Some people have had the entire throttle body assembly replaced which cured the problem you describe... but you know what? I'll bet that new assembly contained a new primary throttle position potentiometer...

I have yet another idea on this but I need to do some homework and diagnostic work first and with Rockets Across America this weekend it won't happen for a bit. It would be nice if someone local had a bike displaying this problem... well not nice for them but it would give me a guinea pig...

Just run these ideas past your dealer... he may have better ideas than me...:D

Look out Steven Hawking

I've got a tit mouse on hold, in the back, that is gonna explain the whole quantum physics fiasco to you in a moment. He said he needs to know if you want it from "before" the big bang or the simple "after" the big bang explanation? He told me that if you need to know how that all breaks down in the event horizon....to get in touch with that 17 year old service tech at the local Triumph shop

Hey jimbeamrye, I've got a female tit mouse that is looking for a quantum physical relationship. We need to get these two hooked up!
Together they might find a cure for cancer or even better, fix R-3 idle problems.

paint can rattle

I have at times heard a "paint can rattle" noise at higher rpm's believe it or not, mine is coming from vibration within/or of the speedometer. the next time you get this noise put your left hand on the speedo and see if it goes away. I have since just ignored it now that I know mine is not from within the engine.

Sidecar Flip said:
Britman:

What exactly is a tit mouse??:confused: :confused:
Flip I'm not exactly sure. I picked it up from an old retired Navy Chief I used to work with. He has the (____________) of a tit mouse. You can insert brains, memory, patience or whatever is called for. Whatever a tit mouse is, I'm sure it has a very low self-esteem.

Toystoretom said:
The paint can rattle "may" be the lower timing chain sproclet. Have the competent dealer check your timing chain tension and see if this improves or at least changes the rattle, that may be a clue as to what I said about the lower sprocket. I haven't heard this rattle myself but others have talked about it and that is one cause of the noise that some dealers have found. Believe it or not... some Rockets display a valve train noise that has gone away as if it fixed itself... that also sounds a little like a rattle. I rode a demo bike that had this noise.

The runnability issue and bad idle... WilburT found that he had a bad primary throttle position potentiometer. This caused an off idle glitch which doesn't sound like your exact problem but you never know. Some people have had the entire throttle body assembly replaced which cured the problem you describe... but you know what? I'll bet that new assembly contained a new primary throttle position potentiometer...

I have yet another idea on this but I need to do some homework and diagnostic work first and with Rockets Across America this weekend it won't happen for a bit. It would be nice if someone local had a bike displaying this problem... well not nice for them but it would give me a guinea pig...

Just run these ideas past your dealer... he may have better ideas than me...:D
Thanks for your input Toystoretom. I will use it next week when I head to the dealer. I would gladly let you use my bike for disection if I was closer. Have a great weekend and leave some beer for the rest of us.

RADEMIS said:
I have at times heard a "paint can rattle" noise at higher rpm's believe it or not, mine is coming from vibration within/or of the speedometer. the next time you get this noise put your left hand on the speedo and see if it goes away. I have since just ignored it now that I know mine is not from within the engine.
Thanks Rademis, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I would still rather push my Rocket and than go back to riding Harley!!![/quote]
The old Fat Bottom Girl gets dropped at the shop in Clinton Maryland on 9-28-06 with a list. I'll post when I get her back. It will be the first night she's ever been away from home, miss her already.

Back