Did you guys happen to notice the date of my original post on this thread? Jack must have been digging again. That Tit Mouse flew south well over a year ago. I have no idle problems since then, and the rattle has been healed. I too am happy with my PC Jack, and don't mine a little popping, it builds character.

Britman

I didn't done It,not guilty,U can't prove a thing. According to dates Hitec started this..With all the screwing around Ive done with spike I have never got him to pop,and I feel left out..The PC seemed to smooth him out even more..Love him but keep waiting for something to come apart..Going riding right now..Bye Crazy Jack

PClll

Britman, the service bulletan is # 386. The dealer has had to download tha latest service software fot their Triumph tool, version 2007_03 to take care of the recall.

As for your Power commander, even if it connects to your o2 sensor, because it's a piggy back system, the stock ECU will always try to conpensate for the changes the PC makes while at idle, and the smaller throttle opening angles.

The last customer that had the power commander, which I told him not to install at least three times, came in twice with a non idling bike, and excessive backfiring on decell. I replaced his charcole briquetts with new spark plugs the first time around under waranty.

The second time around, the power commander got removed, another set of plugs installed, and a bill for 1.5 hours labor;) He got Tune boy soon after, and all has been good since then.

My PC map had no changes below 1.200 RPM mabey thats why the Ecu has not tryed to change It back for the EPA YUG..Oh forgot throw that idle steper in the trash and set It like Tomo said 2 years ago.. BJC

Last edited:
I didn't done It,not guilty,U can't prove a thing. According to dates Hitec started this..With all the screwing around Ive done with spike I have never got him to pop,and I feel left out..The PC seemed to smooth him out even more..Love him but keep waiting for something to come apart..Going riding right now..Bye Crazy Jack

Sorry Jack,

Rocky,

I know the feeling. When I was checking into my "rattle" I dug up every old thread on every site I could find. You will be happy when your Two Toned Beast comes home. I am speaking from experience.

And exactly where does your post apply to the subject that started the thread.:D I was adding a bit of experience with rattling tach or in Rademis' case was the spedo. Tightening up the shell case screw will possibly resolve this issue with any subsequent readers. How this went to sheep and spike farting wasn't my doing. But the thread is up to date now; Britman got the fat-bottomed girl's PCR fixed. Mine will be in the shop for at least another week.

Last summer at the beginning of the year I had the idle problems I called the dealer some youngster asked if I know how to start the bike properly. That pissed me off and they knew it the next time I was at the shop a week later for the bike kept stalling at idle. The issue was that the TPS and something to do the the 2nd butterfly being stuck. The replace both units and have been good ever since. I also had the rattle and it took me some time to figure that out it is kinda funny it was my mirror on the left side of the bike it would rattle some at lower RPM and I woudl bend down and listen and wodul not find it. the mirror was tight the problem was a one side was not flush and made it rattle some.

Last Sunday, after about a 200 mile ride my R/3 quit idling completely and started backfiring when down shifting about 20 miles from home. Long story short, I topped off with fuel, let it competely cool down and did a 12 minute tune and it seems fine now. The bike has had the good old described "paint can rattle" since about the 1k mark and is at 3600 miles presently. I have read all of the posts on this site and Triumphrat.net concering these issues and suggested repairs and I guess I am just a little frustrated. I contacted the Virginia dealer who I purchased the bike from about the idle problem and the service manager (he sounded to be everyday of 17 years old and asked what an R/3 was) stated he had not heard of any idle problems with the Rocket and had no bulletins about the issue, surprise. When I inquired as to how my Power Commander would effect and idle remap, I might as well requested an explantion of quantum physics from a tit mouse. Does anyone have an intelligent answer, please. Anyway, please don't get me wrong, the Rocket is most awsome motorcycle I have ever owned. I love the power, the way it handles, and the overall look of the beast. I am disgusted with the fact that Triumph is not that well known after 10 years or so of being back in the picture and their dealer network is so limited. (I did have better luck with a dealer in Maryland, Clinton Cycles, and will take the bike to them for service.) If that doesn't work I made a copy of Toystoretoms' mechanical idle adjustment procedure. Now that I have vented, I just need to hear from some of you guys who have at least 20k on your R/3 (paint can rattle or not) and your bike is still running strong. I would still rather push my Rocket and than go back to riding Harley!!!
There is a bulletin out on engine idle and cutting out on decelleration, you should have received a letter from the factory telling you to go and get you bike reprogrammed.

Back