just did a little more

cane corso

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Triumph rocket 111
I went with my wife to her work picnic and it was stop and go for about an hour and a half and it was about 80 degrees. Very hot it took us that long just to get into the park and my Rocket never even heated up.
So my vent worked how they were but I still decided to dish them out even more so hardly any of the vents is touching so it will even be better and I made a slit down the side for even more ventilation.
And my spoiler I'm doing some vents up on top of the spoiler so even more air will go in the radiator I didn't need it but its looking really sweet:)
And I extent the sides and they go to about the middle of the engine and I made them wider and drilled one inche holes so you can put a socket wench in to put it on so it gives a nice clean look:) I made the sides even closer to the engine I would say this is almost perfect:) I'll send picture when I finish everthing and with paint and put on my Rocket .

Last edited:
spoiler and vents

Gunshots, I would like to do them in fiberglass but I was told that they could use my wooden vents and spoiler as a mold but only able to make too or three then my wooden vents and spoiler would be no good.
If I want to make lots I would need to have some one make a mold from my vents and spoiler and that could cost a lot of money so know I'm not sure I'm going to look in to it more to see but if its too much money and I could only make a few then those who gets them will be lucky because they will have one of a kind.

The reason why is the resin that bonds the fiberglass chop will compromise wood. If you want to make a big production run the mold needs to be made from steel, basically a die. Any competent T&D shop can do it, even I can but you are looking at least around 5-7K to complete. Lots of stuff going on like profile milling proper relief and a good surface finish.

You'd have to sell a pile of spoilers to break even. Case-in-point, my Pannier liners. I thermoform them with a male and female die that's resistance heated. The outer mold is made from a fabrication with a stainless steel sheet overlayed. The inner mold is the same but with thermostatic controlled heaters built in. I built them in the shop because I have the tools and the knowledge but if I had to have them done outside, I would have never been able to afford the price of admission.

You can't become a manufacturer of any parts without some capital investment both in R&D and hard goods. As luck would have it, I had the machine tools and fabrication equipment at hand and paid for plus the knowledge to build what I need to achieve the end result I want.

All it takes is money and plenty of it. I probably have over 120K in machines and fabrication equipment at my disposal but I still have to purchase the materials to make my products.

vent and spoiler

Hi flip, I'm not looking to go into production. The reason I started to fool around and make a spoiler was because I wanted something a little different so I started carving one out. I changed it so many times I'm glad I didn't pay some one to do it because I wasn't sure on the look I wanted.
But with a lot of changes I finally came up with a spoiler that I like and that looks sharp on my Rocket. I would like to get it fiberglassed and some of the Captans seem to be interested and would like to have one.
I was just going to make a spoiler out of wood then have it fiberglassed and painted but since there seemed to be some interest, I was going to make as many as the Captans on the sight wanted and that would be it. But it seems to be more money then I care to invest because I don't care to make a business out of it I'm just doing it for fun so it looks like I'm just going to get my wooden vents and my wooden spoiler fiberglassed and call it good.

I hear you're making a spoiler, what does it look like? When do you think you will have it finished?

I have a prototype sitting on the bench. It's not wood though. It's thermoformed high impact polystyrene. I'm playing farmer right now so I'm on a hiatus from the shop.

I really like the MotoPlan chin but I don't like the price. If the FRN wasn't so weak against the Yen, the MotoPlan FRP chin could be in reach of a mortal R3 Captain but world economics has reduced our currency value to a point that it's prohibitive to purchase. I have the complete MotoPlan master catalog right here on the desk. Everything from Dry Carbon to superchargers. I also have the MotoPlan US affiliates dealer app here but again, I never followed through simply because the parts and accessories, while first rate, are exorbitantly priced to a point that it makes handling the products an extreme niche venture...not a good business tack in these times.

That's not to say that I don't have products on hand at all times because I do. My Brakeline Clamp Kits, Handlebar Clamp Kits and Pannier Liners are all made up ahead of time, waiting to go out. I always have at least 10 sets of each item on hand. When I drop below 10 sets, I make a complete production run.

If the economy returns to normalcy in the future, I'd love to stock MotoPlan FRP and Dry Carbon accessories but for now, those items are for the connoisseur and most of us aren't connoisseurs, just working Joe's.

spoiler

Flip, I like the motoplan spioler as well but when you look all other spoilers it's really not that much of a difference in shape.I liked the Rocket because it's different so that's why I wanted too make a spoiler that there's nothing out there that looks like it just like the Rocket.
I'm changing it again thank goodness its wood but when it's done I think its going to turn a lot of heads just like the Rocket does.
So Flip, since I don't want to invest 7K on makeing a mold could I get some one to make at least one fiberglass spoiler for me out of my wooden spoiler? Or that can't be done ? Would I just be better off having some one just fiberglass my spoiler?

Flip, I like the motoplan spioler as well but when you look all other spoilers it's really not that much of a difference in shape.I liked the Rocket because it's different so that's why I wanted too make a spoiler that there's nothing out there that looks like it just like the Rocket.
I'm changing it again thank goodness its wood but when it's done I think its going to turn a lot of heads just like the Rocket does.
So Flip, since I don't want to invest 7K on makeing a mold could I get some one to make at least one fiberglass spoiler for me out of my wooden spoiler? Or that can't be done ? Would I just be better off having some one just fiberglass my spoiler?

Cane:

Any custom shop worth it's salt can lay resin and chop on your wooden spoiler and make it. Your only problem might be in your actual design. Your wooden spoiler has the have, should I say, built in relief in the angles so the cured 'glass spoiler can be taken off. I have no idea what you do for a living but when you make a 'pattern' for any hard part, it has to have built in draft (relief) to get the pattern out of the cured 'glass or if it's a casting, to get the pattern out of the green sand (which goes in a cope), the pattern is inserted and the sand rammed around the pattern...

You could split the wooden spoiler transversely so it would come out in 2 pieces, especially if the 'glass will wrap around the ends in a decreasing radius. The wooden spoile will still only last for a few copies simply becayse the release agent will attack the wood fiber and destroy it. That's why it's only good for a few.

If you want to, after you get it made, send me a picture, preferrably hi-res in 3 views, top side and bottom....you know orthographic projection, and I'll give you an opinion on whether it will work and what you have to do to get a workable 'glass copy. You know the drill..... sales@flipmeisters.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe?

so,
does this mean that you two might come up with a possible production scenario? it sure would be neat to have a set of those vents and spoiler. although the hassle and work involved might not be worth it...:D

greg

spoiler

goodfellow, Sounds like it's not going to happen I'm not going to invest 7k for a mold and it seems that using the wooden spoiler as a mold, one could only make a few spoilers before the wooden spoiler is no longer good. If it was for a Harley I would invest the money because there would be a lot more potential volume and I think I would sell more. But the Rocket has a much smaller base, so I don't even think I'll break even.
So looks like I'm only going to make just the one up and keep the wooden spoiler as a back up just in case I misplaced or lose my spoiler :( - Sorry guys, unless there's another way to mass produce this.
This is not my trade - I'm in Upholstery and I did carving when I was younger and restrored antiques furnitures when something was missing and I would duplicate thei patterns by carving it.
fiberglass and making molds is way out of the ball park for me but it seems that flip is the master and he seems to be working on a spoiler and since he's makeing a mold he could make a lot of spoilers up.

Back