is this 'fix' legitimate?

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
My dealer recently replaced the clutch under warranty and seemed to do a neat job of it, but I have just noticed this joint to one of the hoses. Nobody other than genuine Triumph dealers has done any work that would have required the radiator to be off. If it's a normal way of plugging a minor leak then that's fine, and I might be able to trim off the excess bath sealant, but I'm a bit nervous that if there is that much extra on the outside how much might there be partly blocking the inside?
Mike
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAERc/9V8q00MICPg/s720/DSC05533.JPG?gl=US

that looks totally unacceptable to me..I would take it off, clean it out and sparingly reapply myself..long time ago, I had a slight leak around my water pump..I had no new gasket, so I SPARINGLY put a small amount of gasket sealer all around it making sure there wasn't too much on the inside when pressed back on..has worked fine ever since..

My dealer recently replaced the clutch under warranty and seemed to do a neat job of it, but I have just noticed this joint to one of the hoses. Nobody other than genuine Triumph dealers has done any work that would have required the radiator to be off. If it's a normal way of plugging a minor leak then that's fine, and I might be able to trim off the excess bath sealant, but I'm a bit nervous that if there is that much extra on the outside how much might there be partly blocking the inside?
Mike
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAERc/9V8q00MICPg/s720/DSC05533.JPG?gl=US
Just trim off the excess. That's your thermostat bypass hose; easy enough to pull the other end of it on the radiator; and see if coolant flows through it while the motor is running. If so; nothing to redo.

Becasue it doesn't leak at present, I say give it a trim with an exacto knife, just be careful. That is shotty work though.

If I saw it here, I'd swing by the dealer and have him explain.

Then have him fix.

But if it's not in principle, just trim it off and roll.

I'd still show the dealer since it was a warranty repair and keep the pics if for some reason there is a future clog, etc.

Poor mechanic work.

Back