2 Things:

1. This blew my mind.
2. I'd like to understand how this applies to riding a motorcycle - super interesting!

You can look at it two ways, #1 the cage driver just sits and stares at the road waiting for an opening, #2 a motorbike rider is cruising along staring at the road ahead--------- if both are just staring then objects start to disappear well not disappear your brain just does not tell your eyes to look for them, now look at the videos again but this time do as you should be doing on a motorbike and keep scanning the entire video and you will see a dramatic difference.

An interesting read and an interesting video. To me, the bottom line is you have to be on your toes all the time when riding...especially in traffic. I try to draw attention to myself whenever I see a left turner in my path or someone getting ready to pull out. I weave my bike and often flash my auxiliary lights to draw attention to myself. Hopefully they don't think I'm signaling for them to turn or pull out. I keep an eye out for people coming up behind me as well and try not to hang off their quarter panel. There are a lot of blind spots in a car...life is a risk.

From a human factors perspective, our eyes naturally saccade. They do not normally sit still while we observe.
The "trick" only works when we stare and fixate on a single task which is set up in both the spot and basketball scenarios.
That video by Duncan Mackillop is terrific and the first time I have seen the lane weave approach technique recommended.
I have been doing it for many years because I was taught that in order to see something three things are necessary, light, contrast and motion.
The eyes see only what the brain is prepared to accept. We do not "see" what cannot be identified.
Drivers cannot detect, identify, interpret and respond to what is there to be seen if they do not understand what is in front of them.
I do the weave while slowing to a speed from which I can stop within 10 feet or so (about 15 mph) on a level dry paved surface.
Eye contact with the driver is overrated and iffy at best, so I watch the front wheels for rotation and/or turning.
The cage turning in front of me is my largest concern/fear when riding. Likewise fanging while riding on a roadway with intersections, crossroads or driveways is ill advised.

That is exactly what happened to RKTNMYPKT only he was the cager!!!:eek:

Moral of the story is NEVER ASSUME that you've been seen or what anyone else on the road with you may or may not do!:banghead:

Taken from the same page as scot in exile's post: My risk is sensible, yours is stupid

Target fixation --------as we all know our bikes will go where we are looking, never fixate on any one object keep scanning, your central vision is only three degrees which means you have three degrees of clarity and the rest is basically mumble jumble for your brain to pick apart, constant scanning is great advice for any motorcyclist.
Only time I trust a cager to not turn out in front of me is when they are standing beside the car buck naked and telling me my national insurance number:D until then they do not see me.

I've said this before ,every time I ride my bikes. "Who's going to try and kill me today." Your never going to be 100% safe out there. Each year a new batch of fledgling riders/drivers hits the road. The baby boomer population is get a lot older. Drugs and alcohol are still a factor. The only person that will save your life is you.
Broke my heart to watch this.

Back