Ricky Rummel

Standard Bore
Ride
Victory XCT
I am very interested in adding another bike. I have looked at the maintenance on a Rocket III, and I have a question:

The valve system appears to utilize a shim over bucket; If you are only needing to replace one shim, is there a tool that compresses the bucket to allow you to remove and replace the shim? I am leaning towards a used bike, and most I have looked at will need a valve clearance check.

As far as removing the wheels, oil changes, radiator flush, etc. It all looks simple.

What year models should I stay away from?

Regards,

It's all simple once you have found a way to successfully lift the beast . Many threads on this .
It is possible to change a shim with all in situ , using the patented homemade bucket compression tool ! If memory serves me correct ? Member @Rocket Scientist has the top secret blueprint for this tool drawn on a cigarette packet ! ;)

Hello Ricky and welcome from Virginia. The good thing about the valves, is Triumph has extended the valve check to 20K miles vice the original 10K checks. Our bikes seem to be very kind to their valves. I have 47K miles now and the dealer has not had to adjust mine yet so they tell me. I looked the last time they had the lid off and they showed me how it's done since I am somewhat skeptical. I think the hardest part is just getting everything off or out of the way.

Back