Insurance time again - some surprising quotes.

Jallen3.14

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket III
Markel has taken good care of me for years, and they gave me a fair total loss settlement on my old Suzuki that pretty much paid for the Rocket. That said, times are tight and I've got to pinch every penny, so I got some quotes to see what my options were. I thought I'd share them with you all - obviously, your circumstances will be different, but this might help inform your selection process.

Coverage for all quotes:

CoverageLimitsDeductible
Bodily Injury Liability50000/100000
Property Damage Liability$25,000
Passenger Liability50000/100000
Uninsured Motorists - Bodily Injury50000/100000
ComprehensiveActual Cash Value$250 deductible
CollisionActual Cash Value$250 deductible
Roadside Assistance

I tried all the usual suspects - some, like Farmers, don't offer motorcycle insurance. Safeco and Foremost don't provide online quotes, so they don't get considered. After getting a high quote from Progressive a couple years ago, I was surprised that they came in way under Markel. Geico was also higher than giraffe sex last time I checked. I do have auto insurance with Progressive, but that shouldn't account for more than 10-15% discount. Allstate and Dairyland are smoking some high quality crack!

Quote for 12 month policy, paid in full:
Progressive$239
Nationwide$364
Geico$376
Markel$383
Allstate$728
Dairyland$750

If anyone has another insurer to recommend, let me know. I've got a week before I have to renew. For $20, I'd stay loyal to Markel, but for $150, I've got to jump ship.

Insurance is always a real crap shoot. I shop all my insurance policies at a minimum of every 2 years. I've always wanted to switch my cars to USAA but they consistently quote me at almost twice what Progressive charges me.

Beware of Geico. They will quote you a low rate and at your first renewal bump it considerably. I had then once and called them at renewal time and they admitted I was given a New Customer discount the first year. Dropped them and went back to Progressive.

I had Dairyland for many years on a number of bikes and they were always very competitive. Very surprised to see what they quoted you. Some people feel some perverse sense of loyalty toward insurance companies. In my opinion that's a big mistake. I learned that the hard way with home insurance. Two claims inside of 5 years and they dropped me.

I think your liability limits are unnecessarily high. I dont see you doing alot of damage to someone else on a motorcycle

I think your liability limits are unnecessarily high. I dont see you doing alot of damage to someone else on a motorcycle
I agree. I used those limits to make sure I was comparing apples to apples - that's what I've had at Markel for several years. Lowering the liability to 25/50/25 makes the progressive quote $202.

I also agree about loyalty to an insurance company - they have absolutely none to you. I just feel like that's the way you should be. Gonna have to get over that.

Markel has taken good care of me for years, and they gave me a fair total loss settlement on my old Suzuki that pretty much paid for the Rocket. That said, times are tight and I've got to pinch every penny, so I got some quotes to see what my options were. I thought I'd share them with you all - obviously, your circumstances will be different, but this might help inform your selection process.

Coverage for all quotes:

CoverageLimitsDeductible
Bodily Injury Liability50000/100000
Property Damage Liability$25,000
Passenger Liability50000/100000
Uninsured Motorists - Bodily Injury50000/100000
ComprehensiveActual Cash Value$250 deductible
CollisionActual Cash Value$250 deductible
Roadside Assistance

I tried all the usual suspects - some, like Farmers, don't offer motorcycle insurance. Safeco and Foremost don't provide online quotes, so they don't get considered. After getting a high quote from Progressive a couple years ago, I was surprised that they came in way under Markel. Geico was also higher than giraffe sex last time I checked. I do have auto insurance with Progressive, but that shouldn't account for more than 10-15% discount. Allstate and Dairyland are smoking some high quality crack!

Quote for 12 month policy, paid in full:
Progressive$239
Nationwide$364
Geico$376
Markel$383
Allstate$728
Dairyland$750

If anyone has another insurer to recommend, let me know. I've got a week before I have to renew. For $20, I'd stay loyal to Markel, but for $150, I've got to jump ship.
I felt the same with Geico they raised my rate way up this year and then gave me 15% back. For both my bikes it was still going to be almost $800 a year. I ended up at Markel for $500 a year. No accident or tickets in the last 5 years.

Back