Instruments Swap

RazMan

Rocket Addict
Ride
2022 R3 GT, 2011 America
In my list of 'must do' projects on my 2005 Classic is an instrument swap. The big chrome clocks - all four of them - definitely date the bike back in the 90's and both the fuel gauge and odometer don't work so its time to modernise things a bit - incorporating all of the functions into one unit like the later R3s
Firstly, has anyone retrofitted something with any success / failures? I am thinking along the lines of Kozo, Motogadget , Daytona, Acewell etc.
Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
I have to a limited extent. Like you I have all 4 gauges and the odometer failed several months ago at approximately 30K miles. The expense and wiring challenges with the gauges you mention can be very daunting, at least for me. I hope you get some replies from folks much more in the know about this because I too am still interested in doing something if my other gauges fail. I have solved my current problem by fitting a GPS odometer under my seat to keep track of my mileage and happy with it, very accurate.

I have to a limited extent. Like you I have all 4 gauges and the odometer failed several months ago at approximately 30K miles. The expense and wiring challenges with the gauges you mention can be very daunting, at least for me. I hope you get some replies from folks much more in the know about this because I too am still interested in doing something if my other gauges fail. I have solved my current problem by fitting a GPS odometer under my seat to keep track of my mileage and happy with it, very accurate.
Excellent idea! Or maybe something that plugs into the OBD2 port? The wiring might look daunting but everything is already there in one bunch of wires and if you can follow a circuit diagram it isn't too much of a challenge - just take it one function at a time. It is quite surprising how much functionality the manufacturers can cram into such a small unit these days, and for dirt cheap money too - they start at £50!

After looking around on the interweb I decided to go for one of these bad boys ...
51fWygIb0HL._AC_SX679_.jpg

If you squint a little bit it sort of looks like the new dash on the later models 😉
It should take care of all the functions and add a couple more.
Just got to figure out the wiring loom now - my plan is to make a harness which makes it plug & play.

After looking around on the interweb I decided to go for one of these bad boys ...
51fWygIb0HL._AC_SX679_.jpg

If you squint a little bit it sort of looks like the new dash on the later models 😉
It should take care of all the functions and add a couple more.
Just got to figure out the wiring loom now - my plan is to make a harness which makes it plug & play.
Do you have a link for that speedo cluster please?
here is a schematic of the pin outs that @DEcosse had done for the speedo conversions on the early non CanBus bikes

Hope this helps

Speedo wiring Diagram.png

Thanks for the info ozrider (and indeed @DEcosse) - that diagram takes a lot of the legwork out of my task. Reading some other posts I now have the part number for the 20 way connector in the loom so hopefully it will be fairly straightforward to make the harness.
I am hoping that I can use the gear indication (which is not usually on the Classic) and fuel gauge functions by taking outputs from the ECU.

Here is a link to the Koso RXF. It is quite incredible how many functions that they squeeze into such a compact unit.

Last edited:
Back