Instrumental panel problem

Not got a diagram yet, it'll be a lot easier once I get one.. Take care. Ken

I don't know if that will get you there but that's on idk signature page, just search member idk, go to about, and it's all in there

The magnet will never be on the crank.
A magnet will b in the two wire set up.
There is a halls efect type vss wiith more wires.
I dont know about ours if know ones answer then monday i can pull mine.
The vss trigger off the output shaft
If it is the two wire it can b checked with a scope.

The magnet will never be on the crank.
A magnet will b in the two wire set up.
There is a halls efect type vss wiith more wires.
I dont know about ours if know ones answer then monday i can pull mine.
The vss trigger off the output shaft
If it is the two wire it can b checked with a scope.
It's a 3 wire I'm pretty sure?? Not positive, I have one I'll check later

Got curious so pulled mine (50,000 miles) had a film wiped it off was a weak magnetize.
turn it pointed it to ground and it held a small bolt. made no difference key off key on ign.
with finger in hole i could fell the ridges that trigger it,

Got curious so pulled mine (50,000 miles) had a film wiped it off was a weak magnetize.
turn it pointed it to ground and it held a small bolt. made no difference key off key on ign.
with finger in hole i could fell the ridges that trigger it,
But what does that show that it's good or bad 🤔 sorry I didn't check the one I had in my room, went out yesterday, football 👍.
It's throwing code p1500 so it's has to be in that circuit, right??? What do you think it would be the speedo, I'd rather buy a sensor than the speedo and if it's not you have an extra sensor, I'm sure they will be discontinued sometime and they will be worth a lot 😁 that's just the way I looked at it, wish I could lend him my spare, but a used one will probably come up soon, or try that $40 one for the 675 triple

But what does that show that it's good or bad 🤔 sorry I didn't check the one I had in my room, went out yesterday, football 👍.
It's throwing code p1500 so it's has to be in that circuit, right??? What do you think it would be the speedo, I'd rather buy a sensor than the speedo and if it's not you have an extra sensor, I'm sure they will be discontinued sometime and they will be worth a lot 😁 that's just the way I looked at it, wish I could lend him my spare, but a used one will probably come up soon, or try that $40 one for the 675 triple

i did not mean for this to b a big help just that it had a magnet.
i think that this sensor is a halls effect and all that means is that it is an on/off system as opposed to the other style that makes voltage and u can read the wave it produces of coarse the halls produces a square,
i agree that i some times replace the sensor instead of taking time to check so i can just move on.
i have heard of several speedos going bad and not a one vss going bad.
jmo

Not got a diagram yet, it'll be a lot easier once I get one.. Take care. Ken

I just received a used speed sensor from eBay, was supposed to be a crankshaft position sensor, $30 plus shipping and it's yours!!!😁😏
Did you figure it out yet??😁👍😏

Last edited:
I just received a used speed sensor from eBay, was supposed to be a crankshaft position sensor, $30 plus shipping and it's yours!!!😁😏
Did you figure it out yet??😁👍😏,
I have striped the loom, only to find lots of problems! I've never seen a loom like it, it seems to have been made up of all the shortest bits of wire they could find, no wonder Triumph said check the loom first. It's full of hidden joints and some of the earth joints are getting hot inside the loom, (probably Triumphs way of keeping the loom dry, ha ha )? I spoke to Triumph about a sensor and they told me they have only ever sold one and it's very unlikely to be the problem, much more likely to be inside the loom, hence why I striped the loom. Up to date, I have put the loom back leaving it open for now, (after making several repairs to stop future problems). I don't think that the loom is causing this problem, apart from the corrosion that I found inside the 20 pin instrumental panel plug, which uses 17 pins. The purple wired pin had corroded off, which does a constant power to the speedo, it may have caused something inside the speedo, which unfortunately is a sealed unit! I found that if you disconnect the RPM sensor it does not stop the gauge sweeping, so if the speedo works on the same principle it's every possible chance it may be the speedo, but as I said its a sealed unit, very difficult to look inside., also the starting sequence is wrong, its not bringing the warning lights on when it should? Another problem is that way back when the bike was still in warranty, Triumph had the bike in and put scotch lock type testing connectors on numerous wires, which are falling off everywhere leaving exposed damaged wires and where they are on tight they are cutting the wires through years of vibration! But hey, these things are sent to try us as they say. When I finally get to the problem I will let you all know, I'm not one to give in. Pictures to follow.

I have striped the loom, only to find lots of problems! I've never seen a loom like it, it seems to have been made up of all the shortest bits of wire they could find, no wonder Triumph said check the loom first. It's full of hidden joints and some of the earth joints are getting hot inside the loom, (probably Triumphs way of keeping the loom dry, ha ha )? I spoke to Triumph about a sensor and they told me they have only ever sold one and it's very unlikely to be the problem, much more likely to be inside the loom, hence why I striped the loom. Up to date, I have put the loom back leaving it open for now, (after making several repairs to stop future problems). I don't think that the loom is causing this problem, apart from the corrosion that I found inside the 20 pin instrumental panel plug, which uses 17 pins. The purple wired pin had corroded off, which does a constant power to the speedo, it may have caused something inside the speedo, which unfortunately is a sealed unit! I found that if you disconnect the RPM sensor it does not stop the gauge sweeping, so if the speedo works on the same principle it's every possible chance it may be the speedo, but as I said its a sealed unit, very difficult to look inside., also the starting sequence is wrong, its not bringing the warning lights on when it should? Another problem is that way back when the bike was still in warranty, Triumph had the bike in and put scotch lock type testing connectors on numerous wires, which are falling off everywhere leaving exposed damaged wires and where they are on tight they are cutting the wires through years of vibration! But hey, these things are sent to try us as they say. When I finally get to the problem I will let you all know, I'm not one to give in. Pictures to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_114343_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20211017_114343_hdr.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211017_114537_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20211017_114537_hdr.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211017_114647_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20211017_114647_burst_01.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211008_141717_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20211008_141717_hdr.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 13
Did you try dipping that connector in vinegar and water for a while, it cleans very good, then you neutralize it with sodium bicarbonate, (baking soda) and water, and I spray contact cleaner to finish dries it good, don't be stingy on the dielectric grease, gl

Back