Instrumental panel problem

Thanks for the warning. But yes I am a seasoned (retired) mechanic, worked on Wirtgen machinery (which now belong to John Deer) for the last 30 years, which included electrics, hydraulics and general mechanics, however I do appreciate the warning, as no matter how experienced one is, you can still make mistakes. I have removed the sensor from the bike and will test it independently. I have tested the ohms on it and there fine. Ill let you know how I get on. Ken
Well it's definitely something in that circuit, I guess you found the wiring diagram so you'll get it I'm sure, I'm going to follow you just in case I need some advice from a real mechanic, GL I know you got this 😁👌👍
While I was looking for a speed sensor for you I found a coolant temperature sensor that is discontinued for like $10 delivered 😁 it's not there anymore 😁 but I see the same part is on a speedmaster with a few others I don't think will fit the rocket, but it's like $30 for a part that's not available anymore, GL check pinwall too I didn't check for other sensors just the speed sensor, gl

Last edited:
It's not to test or connect up to the ECU I don't think, I wouldn't mess with the ECU unless you're a real mechanic and you know what you're doing, it works on 5v if you hit it with 12v you will be spending over $400 US for a new one, go figure 🤔 look for bad connections first, I hear they normally don't go bad, unless you were disconnecting and connecting with the battery connected, that's what I did, I have a touring and the speedo is on the tank, so I was just removing the tank and forgot to disconnect battery, when I plugged it back in it probably spiked, be very careful testing, I don't think it says to use the ECU, maybe a 5v signal wire from external source??? But I would look for chaffed insulation and broken wire underneath motor, do you know where it's located??? When you're talking ECU $135 for new road speed sensor doesn't sound that bad and if it's not you have an extra!!!🤔 Are you a seasoned mechanic?? I'm not, I'm a shade tree mechanic, operating engineer by trade, I've done a few different trades, 1 year of basic electricity in HS, so be careful, at least it runs good now 🤔
I would even be scared to do that cleaning method with vinegar on the ECU, if it looks clean, they are sealed pretty good, leave it alone, I don't even think I put dielectric grease on the ECU
Look for used or new discontinued parts, I found a few, the disk rotor bolts you can get on ebay, titanium, but you have to replace them all cause the weights are different it will mess with the balance, I bought like $400 in used parts already just in case, I have most of the sensors and the TB's complete., I was looking for a windshield lock, discontinued, so if anyone has a spare hook me up 😁
Yes score 😁👍👌

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-142003.jpg
    Screenshot_20211009-142003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 9
Well it's definitely something in that circuit, I guess you found the wiring diagram so you'll get it I'm sure, I'm going to follow you just in case I need some advice from a real mechanic, GL I know you got this 😁👌👍
While I was looking for a speed sensor for you I found a coolant temperature sensor that is discontinued for like $10 delivered 😁 it's not there anymore 😁 but I see the same part is on a speedmaster with a few others I don't think will fit the rocket, but it's like $30 for a part that's not available anymore, GL check pinwall too I didn't check for other sensors just the speed sensor, gl
Not got a diagram yet, it'll be a lot easier once I get one.. Take care. Ken

hey Ken i see that u have your hands full.
put the diagram in your thread wiring/dia.
i see u have a weird problem
what i would is to check voltage on all the fuses also take a 20 amp fused wire from batt positive to each fuse furnishing each fuse with 12 volts to see if that helps with problem.

Looks like this sensor the part that goes into the engine, but I think the connection on yours is in a triangle shape, maybe worth it to try it if it doesn't work try to resell it

Different part number so it's definitely not going to be exact, I think the wire colors are the same???
Just switch the connection

Looks like this sensor the part that goes into the engine, but I think the connection on yours is in a triangle shape, maybe worth it to try it if it doesn't work try to resell it

Different part number so it's definitely not going to be exact, I think the wire colors are the same???
Just switch the connection
in the lower motor at rear about 1 to 2 inches behind the kickstand is the vss vehicle speed sensor.
i doubt that is your problem but u might pull it just in case it has metal on it. it is magnetic
i have never had mine out just wipe it off and put it back. check the wires.

in the lower motor at rear about 1 to 2 inches behind the kickstand is the vss vehicle speed sensor.
i doubt that is your problem but u might pull it just in case it has metal on it. it is magnetic
i have never had mine out just wipe it off and put it back. check the wires.
06 maybe different but same part # as 08 so I guess it's the same, mine wasn't magnetic, but I think the crank position sensor is??? Maybe because mine wasn't any good??

06 maybe different but same part # as 08 so I guess it's the same, mine wasn't magnetic, but I think the crank position sensor is??? Maybe because mine wasn't any good??

Never had mine off but i deal with the vss al the time the magnetic pluses is what makes the current (aprx 1 volt per 1 mile per hour) and that movement is what makes the vss go bad. it loosens in the unit or breaks the wire. it happens all the time on cry products. reading on scanner will jump from 0 revolutions' to 100 the ecu does not like this.

just info the tuneecu has a test that makes the rpm and speedo sweep for checking this might help.

Never had mine off but i deal with the vss al the time the magnetic pluses is what makes the current (aprx 1 volt per 1 mile per hour) and that movement is what makes the vss go bad. it loosens in the unit or breaks the wire. it happens all the time on cry products. reading on scanner will jump from 0 revolutions' to 100 the ecu does not like this.

just info the tuneecu has a test that makes the rpm and speedo sweep for checking this might help.
Could the magnet be on the Crank? Does the speed sensor have to be powered to be magnetic?? I'm just learning ty. Not doubting you turbo please don't get me wrong!!!!😁😁

Back