Had any moments like this?
I had one today while on a 300km ride...into a right hander (Bear in mind we ride on the left here in NZ)
Too high a gear...too fast...laying down hard...going too wide...stood her up and braked..into the gravel while letting off the brakes...behind the marker peg almost missed it but caught my right hand SMACK!..tilted mirror..up the camber of the bank..back down..caught it and got it pointed towards the seal...accelerated and rode her out...hard on the gas and gone!!..leaned over and pulled all the grass out of both highway pegs...both sides!!! No damage!!Fruuuuck!!
That was close....
Got a bee up my left sleeve shortly after...stung me so i gave it two good right hooks and let it drop out my sleeve...stopped at a pub and pulled the sting out...a patched member saw what i was doing and came over and gave me an antihistamine...never seen him b4...good bugger in my book..
Got home all good.
Keeping it shiny side up, good effort fella!

Ohhh i think someone was helping me there..i couldnt have picked a friendlier corner to do it on either...could just as easy been a tragedy...
I once 'target fixated' on a large rock in the middle of the road whilst going at a fair lick on my ZRX1100 and hit the bugger. Dented BOTH wheels rims, was all over the road but the gods must have been smiling on me in some way as i didn't bin it. Stupid, stupid, stupid are the only printable things i called myself over that one!

Wouldn't want to try again!...It made me mad at myself for not paying attention...drove her hard for a while to teach myself a lesson!

You could always move across the ditch (sorry "dutch") cos we don't really have any corners over here...at least not where i live :thumbsdown:

Legend has it that somewhere on the east coast you can turn left but I remain skeptical o_O

I once 'target fixated' on a large rock in the middle of the road whilst going at a fair lick

The whole issue of fixating on something when you are trying to avoid it is the cause of many accidents. Being able to look where you want to go, vs what you have to avoid, is not easy.

My chum was wringing his Victory out on some twisties when a black bear ran out in front of him. He told me he kept saying to himself, look at the road, not the bear..... the road, not the bear.... He missed it.

Said he attributes this mental epiphany to the motorcycle training course he took. Never forgot it.

That's absolutely true! I guess we all have fixated on something...potholes etc..
To break that stare while approaching the spot your staring at rapidly is almost an unnatural act but you gotta do it. Its good to practise it while out riding around by yourself. Pick on something easy like a mark on the road...then progress to the edge of the road...slow speed not bloody flatout or you will come unglued!
The more you look around, the easier it becomes to look around...and you will find that your eyes are now looking way around the corner or way down the road not directly on the road in front of you...your lines will be way better. I was day dreaming when i went off, that's why i was mad at myself...not concentrating on the speed,gear i was in nor line.

Now go back to that corner and have a look around at the marks you left on the gravel and bank to see where you actually went. It's amazing want actually happened vise what you thought happened. Sometimes you look at the aftermath and wonder, "How the FU€K did I pull THAT off !?"

Back