Ignition Switch replacement denied by Triumph?

So it just turns on the ignition, doesn't start the bike right?
There would be a few safety items to bypass if it had a remote starter.

Side note: if you use this unit cyron from ebay waterproof it. Washed my bike yesterday and no worky. Pryed the unit apart and used a hair dryer to dry it out for about 30 seconds. Putting it back together I used 732 (silicone) and plugged every opening and seam it had.

Dandiego:

I never got satisfaction (ie resolution) from Triumph on the ignition issue, so I took the bike to a local independent motorcycle repair guy. He was able to remove the ignition switch without removing the security bolts (simply removed bottom of ignition switch which exposed the "guts"), and as suspected...found one of the wire solders had broken loose. He re-soldered the joint and I was on the road...cost me $50.

There's always that. Glad it worked out for you, my went out while it was under warranty, hopefully that guy's repair will last a long time.

Dennis

62 dtg Dubai
63 dtg London

160 dtg Dubai
161 dtg Home (Stallion and Triumph ordering/buying time)

Fit headlight relays or it will happen again, it can only be repaired several times, because the pins melt the plastic. I would do it straight away, it will happen quicker the second time.
Dandiego:

I never got satisfaction (ie resolution) from Triumph on the ignition issue, so I took the bike to a local independent motorcycle repair guy. He was able to remove the ignition switch without removing the security bolts (simply removed bottom of ignition switch which exposed the "guts"), and as suspected...found one of the wire solders had broken loose. He re-soldered the joint and I was on the road...cost me $50.

So is the ignition failure the result of poor soldering (as many have stated) or soemthing else (electrical surges in the headlights)?

I'm all for adding headlight relays, but isn't the core issue POOR SOLDERING?

The issue is no relays. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put two headlights on a switch was an idiot. A car has two and they have relays now days because the switches are smaller than the past. If you've ever seen a headlight switch from an old car, they are bigger than the whole ignition switch on the bike to handle the current.

Back