Ignition problem

v*twin

.040 Over
Ride
Rocket3,Concours,CBR250R
The issue has cropped up since last 2 days..when I turn on the ignition,turn on the start button nothing happens(speedo,light all powered up).I have to press on/off kill switch couple of times then when i press the start button,the engine crank over.Is this starting signal of ignition problem

check all your connections around the ign switch and look for heat damage but it may be just that dirty starter switch have a look in the throttle housing,get some CO Conact Cleaner made by CRC and also some dielectric grease and every connection you come across - clean and grease:)

Sounds like you have fallen victim to the infamous ignition switch problem. My R3T had the exact symptoms. I hoped (as you probably are) that it is just a bad connection. More then likely you will end up getting your ignition switch replaced. Save yourself some time and agony ( and possibly getting stranded) and get the bike to the dealer for an ignition switch replacement. That will more then likely solve your problems.

Do a search on "Infamous ignition switch problem" and you will find my thread.

Good luck!

You will need a new ignition switch and get the eastern beaver kit. Then call Lupe at midnight and tell him you will be there in two hours and he will have you back on the road at 6:00 AM Ignition switch $200.00 Eastern Beaver $90.00 Lupe priceless. :D :eek: :mad:

Just in case you should take the starter button out and clean the contact area. Its easy to pull out of the throttle grip without removing the assembly from the handle bar. Mine was a wee bit corroded and there is no waterproofing on it. This is why they say cover the hand grips and switches prior to washing the bike. Then I would start looking elsewhere. like the selinoid contact down on the starter, plus clean the ground cable and block where it bolts to. After that I would start looking at the ignition switch and the teminal plugs in the main harness. One of the updates was to change the plug and seperate a couple wires from the harness plug by adding seperate plugs for the wires. (Bet they were something to do with the starter.)

This what my ignition switch started doing then got Triumph Loom and relay fix. Problem went away for a couple of months but the damage was done. Ignition switch failure, all replaced now under warranty.:D:D:D

Check the clutch sensor to ensure it is not hanging up. I had a issue almost like yours. Took the clutch lever off for maintenance, and cleaned/lubed the plunger.
Three things I notice screw up starting most common.
1. Clutch sensor. Cure clean/lube plunger.
2. kick stand sensor. Cure clean, and adjust
3. ignition. Cure is to relocate, and use a v-twin switch

Back