TjMartin

Standard Bore
Greetings from Michigan.
I have been looking at getting a R3 for a few months now. Doing research by reading forums and watching videos. My biggest take away is to avoid earlier models. However that being said a 2005 with 22k miles has come up for sale just minutes from me.
The bike is a roadster but has hard bags and a fairing which I like. Asking price is $4000. The owner says that the only issue is a low idle.
Is this bike worth considering or should I continue to look for a newer model?

Greetings from Michigan.
I have been looking at getting a R3 for a few months now. Doing research by reading forums and watching videos. My biggest take away is to avoid earlier models. However that being said a 2005 with 22k miles has come up for sale just minutes from me.
The bike is a roadster but has hard bags and a fairing which I like. Asking price is $4000. The owner says that the only issue is a low idle.

if your r mechanic inclined u can get all the advice u need on here.
there was a lot of updates sense then
i would offer 3000 and maybe he will split the difference.

Hello @TjMartin and welcome from Virginia. I would say to go see it and do a good walk around first. That is not a horrible price if it is a good runner. Low idle could be a number of things, most of which is fixed with a good clean and lube of the fuel linkage.

if your r mechanic inclined u can get all the advice u need on here.
there was a lot of updates sense then
i would offer 3000 and maybe he will split the difference.
Unfortunately I am about as handy as a cardboard hammer. It is mostly a confidence problem. I assume that I will just make matters worse so I don't dare try anything to in depth.

Unfortunately I am about as handy as a cardboard hammer. It is mostly a confidence problem. I assume that I will just make matters worse so I don't dare try anything to in depth.

post where u live maybe someone can help

Greetings from Michigan.
Welcome mate.
No way a 2005 is a Roadster...Will be a Classic or Tourer (not to be confused with a Touring) The Tourer was a Classic with a large screen and soft bags.
The Touring had a narrower rear wheel and was detuned and came with a large screen and hard bags.
I have only stated the most obvious differences, there were a few small minor differences as well.
Roadster was launched in 2010, I think.

Welcome mate.
No way a 2005 is a Roadster...Will be a Classic or Tourer (not to be confused with a Touring) The Tourer was a Classic with a large screen and soft bags.
The Touring had a narrower rear wheel and was detuned and came with a large screen and hard bags.
I have only stated the most obvious differences, there were a few small minor differences as well.
Roadster was launched in 2010, I think.
I was going just by the tank. I did not know there were so many variations. This is the bike.

Attachments

• 00m0m_eoPMbcK51gHz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00m0m_eoPMbcK51gHz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 22
I was going just by the tank. I did not know there were so many variations. This is the bike.
Classic for sure...the early models had a silver engine which changed to black in 2006.
Looks like it has Corbin bags and screen...very nice.
Do some research on the site for gearbox symptoms before the test ride...not a deal breaker but at least if there are any symptoms you can either drive the price down or walk away.

I often second guess my skills...but I can tell you between the maintenance manual, acquiring the correct tool and this forum... you'll do well. Go take a look at @idk signature block and look at some resources you can download. Then of course, you need to take a ride and see if she speaks to you. The only point I will make, and it's personal to each Captain, is I don't expect an '05 to have ABS. I have a '14 and it does, but it's my first ABS bike.
-MIG

Back