I sold the R3T today 😢

But, if you sold it to thin out the number of bikes, why are you looking to get another? I missed a memo again huh?

And, please don't go away... ;)

How do you deal with all the idiots on Craigslist? I need to cut down from 6 bikes to 2, but hate dealing with the public. There are a lot of cwazies out there! I know I may be one, but it is difficult to deal with them. Saying your price is "FIRM" doesn't seem to mean anything. Guess I may try a ridiculous high price, and see if any of the idiot's want to pay. :);)o_O:eek::oops:
OK, you hit the nail in the head! I have a love/hate relationship with CL. I want to buy and sell stuff locally, but I don’t want to deal with the knuckleheads and scammers.

The good news is, CL started charging a $5 per vehicle listing fee so at least you’re dealing with sellers who have “somewhat” been vetted. Now buyers on the other hand...

I’ve sold two bikes recently and have gritted by teeth through the entire process. Explain the process ahead of time. Tell them to bring a trailer or another rider and CASH. Most buyers show up ready to lowball you. I have a price in my head that I won’t go under. Say I want $2500 for my wife’s old XT225. I listed it at $3k and had lots of interest. I rode it over to the nearby Home Depot and allowed the potential buyers to look it over and ride it in the parking lot (you may decide not to do that but I’ve never had a problem). Then the negotiations begin.

Have all the info and accessories available at that time. Know what services were performed and when. Be honest about what’s needed. Accept only cash and have an AS IS bill of sale ready to go. Also, know how to fill out the title and bill of sale stuff so you don’t have to see the buyer again.

Some buyers will balk and stall. I just say, “If it doesn’t sell this week, you can call me back if you’re still interested. But it’s probably going to sell so make your best offer.”

Go into it knowing it might be a painful experience and just get it over with. Good luck!

But, if you sold it to thin out the number of bikes, why are you looking to get another? I missed a memo again huh?

And, please don't go away... ;)

I want something with fewer miles. My local friend PreStaged has an R3T with 60k plus miles on it and he says he expects to get 100k or more. I’m not that adventurous!

Ive watched you take care of this bike over the years, whoever got it is lucky. I hope youre not saying adios because i dont think i ever read a post of yours i didnt think was cool, i hope youre not saying goodbye, youre a cool dude and it suck if you were gone, im just saying
You see, that’s what I love about this group right there. ☝️

Actually, my fat girl is at 110,000 miles now. She is still frisky and still my daily driver.

When I saw your R3T on Craigslist I told my wife "John has lost his mind."

Ya' know, when we were texting yesterday and I told you I had purchased a Trophy, I was kind of thinking that if you have not ridden one, you should come over and take it for a spin before you buy something else. Just sayin' . . .

How do you deal with all the idiots on Craigslist? I need to cut down from 6 bikes to 2, but hate dealing with the public. There are a lot of cwazies out there! I know I may be one, but it is difficult to deal with them. Saying your price is "FIRM" doesn't seem to mean anything. Guess I may try a ridiculous high price, and see if any of the idiot's want to pay. :);)o_O:eek::oops:
Cl is annoying. But ive sold alot of cars and one bike(my 07 bonneville) on it. Alot of no-shows. One old guy showed up with a buddy. We talked a while, but when i asked if he wanted to ride it he said "oh i dont think my wife would ever let me have a bike". Thanks for wasting my time.
I placed it on the local paper (12 yrs ago). I live near the mexican border so i kept getting people calling thinking it was a pontiac bonneville.

I have to agree that CL is annoying at times but, that's where I found my Rocket before I discovered this "Asylum". I would suggest all members offer their bikes and parts for sale on the forum first before CL or Ebay.

Small world, my '06 Classic was originally sold by Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego, still have the Rocket logoed plate frame on the bike and I lived in Odessa, between Tampa and Clearwater 1998 to 2003. You just sold an R3T and I just bought one. And get this......in High School I wore the same glasses as you are wearing in your picture! Maybe we are related. :)

> How do you deal with all the idiots on Craigslist?

Oh man, ain't that the truth! My favorite is "How much for cash?" and all I can say is, I dunno, man, I was kinda holding out for beaver pelts.

My second favorites were (after several back and forth texts and questions and answers), "Almost forgot to ask, can you send me the VCB papers?" and another guy's "Can you send me the RV Report?" like those are something everybody who sells a bike has standing by.

[me] Sorry, man, I don't know what you're talking about. [him] "You don't? It's the standard verification papers you use when you sell a motorcycle, you get it from [editor's note: I'm not going to include the URLs of these scam sites] Oh, forgot to ask you your name, By the way I'm Fred/Tom."

[me] No, Mr. Fred/Tom, I'm not going to send twenty five bucks to some third party to audition for you to buy my bike. [Fred/Tom] "Well, I'm not going to take a day off to come down/up from Portland/Medford to buy your motorcycle without verification." [me] What do you want verified? [Fred/Tom] "I want to be sure it hasn't been in an accident." [me] Of COURSE it's been in an accident. Didn't you read the ad? Didn't you look at the photos? It got rear-ended, there's no rear fender or tail lights or left turn signals and one of the headlights is busted. If it HADN'T been in an accident it wouldn't be THREE GRAND. Goodbye.

[Fred/Tom] "I guess you don't really want to sell it."

[me] Goodbye!

Back